Wednesday 10 December 2014

Day 1 (Alice Springs)

39degrees
Total km's: 22km

Wow. It's more than a year and a half since I finished up on my last big bike journey. I have come back for more, however this time feeling a lot more wiser and also having a companion to enjoy all the highs and lows with. We will be cycling from Alice Springs to Darwin. 

Today we flew from Melbourne to Alice Springs, (10th December) and will fly out of Darwin to Melbourne on Christmas night on the 25th. This gives us 14 days to cycle roughly 1600 km's, with today being planned as a day off as we load up on supplies and get our selves ready. 

We have teamed up with Red Dust, a non profit group that provides community outreach to indigenous youth in outback areas. The organisation provides education around alcohol consumption and also healthy living through the promotion of good food and physical activity. When my friend Davi and I heard about this organisation we thought it would be great to try support the work they do, even if we can only promote it to a few people. 

It was a very good day today as we managed to meet up with a few of the guys from Red Dust and also get in a radio interview to help promote the organisation. This was a result of me calling the ABC radio and asking if we could do a story. I suppose I have a bit more experience this time after the last ride I did.

We have decided to stay back again tomorrow, as our new friend from Red Dust has offered to take us out to a local juvenile detention centre. The guys do work with the young fellas there, providing support and being positive role models. They also play music and do art and cultural activities to make connect on a cultural level and get them more engaged.

I'm really looking forward to this and also to see a bit more of Alice Springs. It seems like a great town and so far I'm really impressed. It feels very laid back and has a very beautiful scenery. It provides a feeling of isolation, being in wilderness, yet the desolate surroundings account for a majestic landscape.  

The fella we have met from Red Dust was a true inspiration. In listening to him speak I was almost in awe. He is only young yet gives the perception of an elder displaying a high level of confidence. He spoke about some initiation steps that he's gone through and a number of other cultural histories. He must of truly trusted my self and Davi, as I know this is generally very private information. It was a moment I'll never forget, standing outside ABC radio in Alice Springs listening to the traditional stories of a strong cultural man. The interview went pretty good too, with the two fellas from Red Dust, Davi and I all contributing the interview.

It's a strange feeling, as looking back when I last wrote I was finishing up on the ride in June 2013 and my main concern being focused on finding a place to live. Going on another ride was the last thing I was interested in. Now I have a place that I'm renting and have other commitments in my life, so it's a completely different feeling to the last ride. I am however now feeling a similar level of comfort in the feeling I'm free again. It is annoying knowing we have a set date to return, as the true feeling of freedom is knowing you can go on forever and have no commitments. 

A few of the guys joked about Davi not knowing what he's in for, but I think Davi is a strong guy and will be able to persist. It will be hard, but I feel he has the confidence to push his limits.






No comments:

Post a Comment