Wednesday 17 December 2014

Day 7 (Threeways to Renner Roadhouse)

Km's: 145
Hours: 9 1/2
Weather: 44 (very hot all day)

Today we left around 7am to get to a roadhouse around 140 km away. Again the weather was unbearable and I had immense difficulty getting through it. We stopped half way at a rest area called "Attack Creek" and had a rest for about one hour. We sat down at a park bench and put our heads in our arms as we both tried to sleep for a bit to get through the midday heat. There was a water tank at the rest area and some information on the history of Attack Creek. It spoke about the early settlers and how one of the Whites was attacked and killed by an Aboriginal man from the local Warrangamu clan, the same mob that the fella's from who I spoke to the other day. Perhaps if I spoke to that man he'd give a different story to the one that's narrated at the rest area.

After this we kept going. It was very very hard but we somehow managed to get through it. At the end of the day we pulled into the roadhouse and both loaded up on a cold drink straight away. We then sat down and started laughing, something we've been doing with each-other the last few days. We both must be thinking the exact same thing- a) we both can't believe we made it b) we're crazy for doing this c) we're both in excruciating pain and there's nothing that's going to make it better but just laugh at our situation. 

As per usual everything in the roadhouse cost a fortune. In order to save my self more pain I explained first to the girl working that we were both very tight on money and if they had any leftovers, discounts or free food/drinks that we would be wrapped to take it. She gave us an old loaf of white bread made at the roadhouse and a tray full of corned beef (covered in plenty of fat). These two foods I would never normally eat, however on this occasion I didn't want to throw it back in her face for providing a kind gesture and for us looking too greedy, but I was also desperate for the food. 

As I was sitting down a few people at the roadhouse were asking us about the ride. They asked if we were supporting a cause and I said yeah, we're supporting an organisation based in Alice Springs that works with Aboriginal youth. This generated some interesting responses, with the first coming from a middle aged White man working on the gas fields "don't come here and tell me shit about aboriginals" "I had ten of those cun$$$ chase me down the road when I was young". I listened to the man, as I realise everybody have there opinions for a reason. He explained that a lot of people from the city's, particularly Melbourne, have an ideal image of how life should be in the N.T but without ever coming up to experience it they are completely disconnected from the reality. This is something I strongly agree with, as I know the political party I represent has a group of fanatic supporters who fit that description perfectly. I can understand the frustration from White people in the area, however racist opinions and views hold little ground when given through discussion. I think this is a good trait I have, where I'll listen to a view no matter how racist or ill informed as I recognise they have these views for a reason. I'd also like to think I can identify a valid coherent point compared with a view based on hate or racism (particularly if they are not individually motivated and more from external influence). I felt more aligned to the second of these views, having picked up a number of racist views from the conversation. I feel the white community out here have a strong and long history of racism and it is more evident today than any other. 

The second persons that I spoke with were a more affluent white couple from the outer regions of Darwin. They were more open and interested in the organisation, however the man in the relationship had a stronger view. I would suppose his opinion holds a little more ground, namely his view that Aboriginal people can not be babied. I seconded that view and explained that we need to recognise the complex cultural worlds that they're caught up in, most particularly the more traditional communities in N.T.

As we were talking a man wrote his name on the wall, as the roadhouse encourages visitors who have gone through to write there name down. His name was "Chainsaw Freak" and he was pointing his finger to it, looking at me, while another person took the photo. I laughed a bit but was also a little bit concerned and after telling Davi I think he was too. I explained that we just need to be confident and not look vulnerable to these sick bastards. I also realised tonight that I should be careful telling white country bogans that we're supporting an Aboriginal organisation, as it certainly generates strong views!

We have an area at the front of the road house where we can sleep for free. We'll get a good night rest and try to tackle another 95km tomorrow! 






No comments:

Post a Comment