Wednesday 10 December 2014

Melbourne (Morning of departure for Alice Springs)

The weathers looking ominous further up near Darwin, with thunderstorms and heavy rain predicted. Alice Springs seems a bit more consistent with 40degrees over the last couple of days and yesterday being 30degrees around 2am in the morning. I can see it will be hot and sticky, and also potentially very wet. The thing I'm a little anxious about is how far north it will be when the weather starts to get wet and stormy. My logic is saying it will start around half way up to Darwin, but let's wait and see.

We will stay at a hostel tonight in Alice Springs. I am hoping to find a map up to Darwin when we arrive as I haven't had a look at anything yet (talk about last minute!). We will leave early tomorrow to Darwin as we have only 14 days to cycle up there, which will be around a total of 1600kms. It will be hard to get lost when there is only one road to Darwin, however the thing I am interested in seeing is the distance between road houses where we can get access to water. We will get off the flight around 10:00 local time in Alice Springs, unpack the boxes and assemble the bikes. Once getting all this sorted we will then head into the town where we will load up on supplies. I'm hoping to meet with a local fella from Red Dust. I'd love to find out more about local issues and the great work Red Dust have been doing. After this we will check into the hostel and hopefully get a good night sleep for tomorrow! I'd guess Davi and I had about a two hour sleep last night as we were putting our bikes in the boxes and getting everything ready (again last minute!!)

Great to finally get to the heartland of Aus. It devastated me that I didn't go there during the last bicycle journey, and the fact I had never simply seen any part of the Northern Territory. Strong aboriginal culture, hot and humid, crocs and mossies are the things I imagine to see. Also thunderstorms and floods as we get closer to Darwin.. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment