Friday 31 May 2013

Day 140 (Broome to Melbourne (via Perth))

May 21 (Tuesday)

Today is the final day of this journey before I head back to cold Melbourne. I have cycled across four states, seen many different things and have slept in all sorts of conditions over the last 150 days. I've pushed my self to the absolute limit, both physically and mentally. It will be a strange feeling getting back to some type of 'normality' in everyday life again. 

I've become quite adapted to scanning good areas to sleep, or looking through skip bins for left over food. I definitely won't be missing a sketchy sleep at the back of football oval, or in an abandoned property, however I'm not so sure that I'll be truly happy in an enclosed bedroom in the urban suburbia. This is perhaps my biggest fear once returning home, is finding a place to live where I can still feel free. I don't want to go back to the hustle and bustle of the inner suburbs of Melbourne, but I'm hoping to find a nice garden and a nice sized place to enjoy my time. I would like to make a fire now and then and cook my food outside under the stars. This ride has made my desire to be self sustainable even stronger, producing my own organic veggies and preferably having access to established fruit trees. I will be looking around Clayton or Oakleigh area, close by to the Monash University for a place that I can rent while I do my studies. 

Yesterday as the sun set over cable beach I sat down and reflected on the trip. I was thinking on what I've learnt as a human being and in what ways I've perhaps changed as a person. The key thing that stood out to me was the importance of being around good people. People who can share simple pleasures in life with. The two French girls who I've met up with have helped me realise this as well, as two days ago I was sitting at cable beach alone and was not able to truly enjoy the sun set. I had other things on my mind and I couldn't really be at peace. Yesterday whilst watching the same sunset, but with my two French friends I was a lot more relaxed. I think being alone for so long of this ride has made me realise the importance of people, the importance of being a part of a community and appreciating all kinds of people. I hope when I return to Melbourne I can find a place and manage to surround my self with good people.

It will be a rather cold feeling, both weather wise and also again loneliness wise once returning to Melbourne. I will arrive to Melbourne around 5 am in the morning, doing the red eye trip from Broome that departs at 21:00 tonight. The weather change will be around -29 degrees, with Melbourne being around 5degrees at 5 am and Broome reaching the mid 30s  earlier today. I will arrive to my home town without the fabulous reception that Shane Crawford or perhaps many others have had after a big bike trip, rather I will be by my self and after assembling my bike out of the box I will then have to cycle back to my mothers place. I must admit it does work out convenient as my mother is currently overseas and the house will be empty for another week, hopefully giving me time to get back into work, look for a place and settle in a bit. With infers crossed I can get into my own place within a few weeks of work and saving up, otherwise it might be back to the tent in local parks and neglected property sites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment