Thursday 16 May 2013

Day 132 (Broome - Rest Day)

May 13 (Monday)

This morning I went for a ride around the neighbourhood to see if I could find my friends house. I was there during the evening on only one occasion, which was two years ago, so it was a little bit of a wild shot. My memory of it is still quite strong and the neighbourhoods certainly looked very familiar to me. I crossed a few streets I know we would of walked along but I couldn't manage to find his house or street for that matter.

After this I went down to the local radio station. My friend here has a contact and managed to get me a foot in the door for an interview. This was great, I'll take any opportunity to promote the cause and send a positive message for other young people.

After the radio I asked a few local people if they knew any details of my friend. Every body seemed to know who he was yet didn't know where he lived. The common traits of Aboriginal communities elsewhere is certainly evident here, with many of the Aboriginal people explaining to me they are familiar of many other Aboriginal family names. The family names seem to very strong amongst the community, perhaps linking back to traditional cultural ties.

I met a security guard who was a very nice man. He said he'd make a few phone calls for me and let me know if he found anything. Hopefully this works out..

Another good feed and more relaxing.








No comments:

Post a Comment