Thursday 16 May 2013

Day 131 (Broome - Rest Day)

May 12 (Sunday)

Man, I tell you it has been so great to have a day off!! I slept like a baby last night and naturally was up very early this morning.

I went with my friend, with whom I'm staying with, down to cable beach. She participated in a fun run, so I went for a swim and did some more relaxing. I would have loved to join in the run, but having no runners and feeling very heavy I didn't want to push my self. For most of today I've been sitting around and not exerting much energy. This has felt unreal. I wonder how long it will be until this effect wears off.. As I know in general I'm quite discontent with lounging around for long periods. At the moment however, it feels like I'll be content with it for a little while yet..

I also went down to the outside garden Broome market with my friend , and we enjoyed some local cuisines. My thoughts became even more engrossed in going home. I realise that if I were to go home I wouldn't have to be so concerned with my finances and could enjoy my time even more. The repetitive diet is really something that annoys me. My diet is usually something I prioritise highly, even avoiding anything artificial, preservatives also gm products (which are actually in nearly every food we eat now - anything with maize, soy, canola oil plus a few other staple ingredients). So to eat absolute rubbish based off price is certainly something I would like to avoid when possible. This experience certainly makes me understand how so many communities in western countries suffer health wise, when processed bleached white flour products are cheaper than anything wholesome. This also strengthens my view on non-western countries being just as developed as western countries, as they still consume natural wholesome foods on a large scale. What is 'development'? Buildings? Or good health and a good life? The latter should be complete an utter common sense, yet many of us fail to see this. What I have witnessed in the past and now see more clearly is a large consumer driven, media controlled unaware western population passing on their disconnected mindset over on mass scale to the worlds remaining rich cultures. On another note Broome having a few good shops around will allow for a good feed over the next few days.

I have been asking around about my friend in Broome, trying to track him down. I plan to give him a signed North Melbourne football jumper. This is a gift I have for him, as a few years ago I was in Broome and he gave me a local hard wood hand carved pendant on a necklace. I planned on sending the jumper in the mail yet must of left it in the hands of someone else to do. A few years later I realised it was never sent and have now made it a priority of this trip to meet him and hand it to him my self. This I know will be a great surprise for him. He had informed me he had never been outside of this region of W.A so to get a jumper like this would be very special. The jumper also had a price tag of $120, and I couldn't really imagine him justifying this price on a football jumper. The necklace he made me, being more of a spiritual item than anything else, really bares no price at all. The psychological strength it has given me on this journey, having something from the land, something that has guided me and driven me to Broome is something I couldn't of purchased. It actually broke on the same day of arriving into Broome, a very spooky coincidence, now being in the country of its origin.
Tomorrow I hope to get a few more leads, hopefully I can find him!!

P.s what a great dinner tonight and what a great host I have!!









No comments:

Post a Comment