Sunday 12 May 2013

Day 129 (Sandfire to Bush (on way to Broome))

May 10 (Friday)
Day: 167.55km
Ride Time: 7hours 39minutes

It was difficult sleeping last night. I'd like to say it was my thoughts to keep going or finish, but it was more the sweat soaked sleeping mat and thousands of bites on my body keeping me up.

I got up nice and early, packed my gear before 7 had my oats and took off. I went in to the roadhouse to say thanks to the two ladies who were in last night as they were friendly people. The two weren't working but a real bitter surly old women was behind the counter, turns out she is the manager. I asked her to pass on a message that I was pleased with there kindness and she responded by saying "what, were you in trouble or something?" I said no but I just wanted to say thanks for being nice and good bye. She stared at me and said ok. She then walked out with a cigarette and meat pie (at 7am) and expressed her concern over my health an safety to cycle without a bicycle helmet. I scratched my head whilst registering her remark.. I wonder to my self, would she have ever cycled in her life? The thing I also wonder is why her comment gets more understanding from society, rather then the question of a person smoking and eating a meat pie at 7am.

I chucked my legionnaires hat on and took off. It was another long ride facing head wind at times throughout the day. The thing I find challenging now is mentally accepting the 8hours a day on the bike with my mind inactive. The environmental change has been so minimal lately and I really have very little to focus on besides the tarmac beneath me. The thing that keeps me going is the thought of supporting a good cause. This is why it is difficult when I feel I could probably create more awareness at home in my daily life.

Along half way a miracle happened. The landscape changed for the most significant amount in a long time. It shifted from arid shrub land to more densely covered green and large shrubs to small trees. I feel that this is now the transition into the Kimberly. It certainly does feel like a different country and has provided me with a much needed morale booster.

It was roughly 320km from the roadhouse to Broome, so I thought if I hit just over half way today then I could hit Broome tomorrow with my total water supply.

Around 170km in I saw a rest area. This was great as I was in desperate need for some open space to sleep. The untouched bush would of been acceptable but the opportunity to have open area was more appealing, due to my concern of snakes in this country.

I pulled in and got my cooker going straight away. My biscuits had sustained me for most of the day but a proper feed was desperately in need. My body must really be annoyed with me, considering my lunch is non-existent, unless you can call processed wheat flour biscuits lunch.. It makes me feel sick thinking this is the only crap I put in my body especially after so much physical strain. The thing that also makes me feel sick is the heavy plastic taste from my water bladder that I have to consume regularly throughout my trip.

As my cooker was going I pulled out my mini radio. I started trying to tune into tonight's football game. If it were any normal game I'd could've manage to accept not getting reception, but being such a good game with my team and another ladder leader I was trying very hard to tune in. I walked around everywhere holding it up and down to tune in. I couldn't get a thing. Two seconds later a huge camper van pulled in with a massive satellite dish on it. The football on t.v seemed like a far cry and didn't actually enter my mind. Two older couples came out of the van and started talking about tonight's game. My ears pricked up as I heard them say they were going to watch it on t.v. They said hello and I asked about the satellite. They mentioned it was for t.v and that they're going to watch the football. I explained Essendon was my team and how keen I was on watching it too. There wasn't really an offer so I asked if I could join. The man was low on courage and couldn't say no to my face, so said no worries and it was ok. I was all of the sudden very excited to see the game! A few minutes later I heard the two men speaking and one of them say "we can't have him in here, he'll bloody stink!!". I tried to imagine I didn't hear it, until only seconds later the large man said they couldn't get the t.v working so I couldn't watch it. I knew it was a lie and said no worries. You can imagine my emotions being turned upside down. This is why I disconnect from wealthy western people as many can be judgemental and self orientated. Every Aboriginal person I've met has come and sat with me and not thought any different of me - a very powerful quality.

They people must of realised how dejected I was and figured a way for me to watch with them. The nicer man brought a bucket of water over and asked if I could wash my self. I asked if the water was drinkable, no way I was going to waste it. The larger man overheard and mumbled a few things, from which I understood it to be bore water that was filtered in his van. I thought anything would be better then the heavily plasticised water I'd been drinking, so filled my water bottles up in front of the others. I kept a little water to dip my handkerchief in to wash my legs so they weren't so sticky from sweat and dirt in my tent tonight. I gave the bucket back and explained I was ok with my radio and I'd see them later. I grabbed all my gear and walked into the bush area to sleep away from where they were. All I could hear was them cheering the game all night, at least in the bush I didn't hear it. The radio didn't work but at least I had Internet to follow the game. Probably better I didn't watch in the end as my team lost anyway!

The sound of deluded campers has now passed for that of dingoes howling. Another sign of different country- the animalia beginning to change. I'm hoping they don't get into my food tonight. I've hung up my sandals in a tree as the bush around me is very thick and I may not be able to find them if they were to be taken again!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment