Tuesday 7 May 2013

Day 124 (Karratha to Sherlock River)

May 05 (Sunday)
Day: 102 km
Ride time: 4hours 30minutes

It was tough to take off again in the heat. I was already in a big sweat just by packing my gear in the morning. I said my farewells and took a few drink bottles out of the freezer.

Once taking off I had to dodge all the broken glass in the neighbourhood. In the neighbourhood is a large Aboriginal presence and I've been informed that they often throw the bottles around. Something not so dissimilar to the non-indigenous bogan culture in other parts of Australia.

The ride was hard at points, namely because of the heat. I passed Roeborne after 40odd km's of riding and I took the opportunity to get a slurpee in a roadhouse. An unusual $5 luxury, but I thought I'd spoil my self after having such a great time in Karratha at no cost.

I listened to the radio to kill a bit of time then switched to my stored music for the second half. I'm really finding it hard to stay motivated now. The roads are very long, hot and very repetitive. Sort of like the Nullabor but more humid.

I pulled up to Sherlock river. It is a beautiful fresh water river. Within minutes I jumped in to make the most of these rare opportunities. Every time I pass any fresh water it is very hard for me to cycle past, as I know back home it is rare to have such an opportunity. My whole trip I have had this mentality but here with the heat I have it even more so. I now have to be cautious of the crocs though. I know I'll probably be skipping most rivers past Broome area.

For dinner tonight I was fortunate enough to have left over fish from my friends in Karratha. The fish tasted even better tonight, despite being warm from todays ride, and made me reflect on how grateful I am for a great couple of days in which I also had plenty of fresh fish. It reminded me of my childhood down on the beach and eating fresh fish regularly. The son in the house where I stayed also reminded me of my brother Scott, as my brother is also a keen fisherman. Growing up my brother would make his own spears and go down the beach, similar to my friend in Karratha. They bare many similarities in there nature. They may of even possibly fished together when down at Rye.

This guy really has a remarkable story though. Something that actually brought a tear to my eye, although I tried very hard to hide it. He was diagnosed with cancer around 17/18 years of age and managed to over come it after surgery. A few years later when he was 21 it returned, unnoticed to the doctors, and he had to have intensive surgery, chemotherapy and the works to have it removed. I haven't mentioned his name here but without one word of a lie this is one of the most positive uplifting encouraging people I have met in my life. He didn't even mention his battle with cancer, I only heard it from his mother. The thing that really shook me up was that if something had of turned for the worse then I would never of been blessed with the opportunity to meet him. He has an incredible awe around him, and the people like him are what make this earth a beautiful place. I also have this thought in the back of my mind, that if my brother never succumbed to mental illness whether he would of had this similar presence. Perhaps what makes me warm so much to this guy is that he reminds me so much of my brother, before he got into his current state.









No comments:

Post a Comment