Wednesday 8 May 2013

Day 127 (South Hedland to Pardoo Roadhouse)

May 08 (Wednesday)

Day: 145.20
Ride Time: 6hours 02minutes

I was all prepared this morning for this next leg of the journey. It feels weird to think I'm on the final stretch to Broome. This is almost a big a psychological challenge as when I took on the Nullabor. I still remember meeting two cyclist on the Nullabor, and asking then what there most difficult part has been and they said the stretch from Broome to Pt Hedland. This has been on my mind ever since so perhaps why I am putting so much thought into it now.

The ride today was bearable. I had a tailwind at times, making for good average speeds. I took off quite early so was therefor able to pull up nice and early for the day. I pulled into a roadhouse. They charges $8 a tent site so I took up the offer. It's only the 4th place I've paid for accommodation since being in W.A. After looking over my finances I realise I've only actually spent $300 since leaving Perth and $900 since being in W.A. These expenses include food, accommodation, water and bike maintenance (excluding phone bills and other non-related expenses).

It's a result of being so frugal I'm now in a better position on this northern end and can now enjoy a few basic pleasures. At the same time I have to be very careful to not lose control of this frugality, as it is very tempting to spend $5 on an icecream or $5 on a cake in the servo. Gotta stick to couscous, lentils bake beans and 2minute noodles!

I also have to thank my friend in Karratha who gave me a camel pack, as I freezed this last night and the ride today was made a lot better by sipping icy cold water all day!!

1 comment: