Sunday 12 May 2013

Day 130 (Bush to Broome)

May 11 (Saturday)
Day: 160.25km
Ride Time: 7hours 33minutes

Another long day. The environmental conditions changing even more so today, making the ride feel a bit quicker then previous days. Thicker vegetation, reflecting more of what you'd expect in the Kimberley. This is not to say today was easy, as it was still very hard riding.

In the morning the wind couldn't make a decision of what way to blow. I figured the tides must of been changing, as the wind was hitting me from all over. As I entered the last 150km into Broome my morale boosted a little more. It was finally within reach. In this moment I realised Darwin was also not that much further ahead. To ride to Darwin from Broome would be equivalent of riding this leg from Pt Hedland to Broome three times over. I realise that once I'm in Darwin I will think the same about going to Alice Springs, and then possibly the next destination..

The heat was taking it out of me, along with occasional head winds. I had to cover my odometer so not to see how many km's were left, as it felt like forever. This mental challenge is harder then the physical push. I went past a roadhouse 30km before Broome and really wanted to avoid it. If I could go straight to a supermarket in Broome then I wouldn't have to spend the excessive amount for a cold drink in the roadhouse. As I took the left turn into Broome, the last straight, and came up to the roadhouse I was hit with a massive headwind. My body was in heavy pain so I took the weak option and stopped at the roadhouse. I spent a crazy $5 on a slurpee just to have an icy hit. The feeling of sitting down in the shade enjoying a slurpee after the last few days is something words cannot explain. Anything negative exits your mind and you really appreciate every single moment.

I kept pushing to Broome before I would of sent my self broke on slurpees. I hit the supermarket straight up, buying a tub of mango sorbet, a banana and a litre of fruit juice to make my own smoothie (all the same price as one slurpee, go figure..) I learnt my lesson now to avoid cramming large amounts of dairy, after having long periods without it. I collected a wooden stick from the Wendy's ice-cream taste tester box and used it as a scoop.

Whilst enjoying this I reflected on my last time here in Broome, roughly two years ago. I thought about how the last time I was here I was so curious what was in the landscape on the outskirts. I used to wonder where the country started to change and what the country was like along the way down south. I feel a level of satisfaction knowing I've lived in country all the way up here and also experienced all the conditions and the people that go with it. These thoughts making my decision to go further north or finish here even harder..

I had been in contact with a friend I met on the Nullarbor who lives here in Broome. He mentioned he'd put me up when I arrived so I got in touch with them when pulling in. After my feed at the supermarket I headed over to their place, where I am now enjoying a few basic comforts. I tell you what, it feels so great to not have bugs constantly nipping at you, sweaty sticky skin, stress about animals getting in my gear and a whole range of other things. It made me realise how much I'd enjoy seeing this next part of country in a van which could ward off some of those little yet incessant annoyances.

My minds a roller coaster at the moment... At least I'm in town and have a bit of time to contemplate my plans, whilst having the luxury of accommodation in a local apartment.







No comments:

Post a Comment