Tuesday 5 February 2013

Day 34 (Beachport to Kingston S.E)

Day: 97.04km
Total trip: 2044.8km
Vic to Adelaide: 824km

This morning was very hard. I had to say farewell to my cycling friend Hong. It really was a difficult thing as following this I had to ride off into the empty country alone. Not only was he a good companion the last couple of days but a like minded person who I really enjoyed being around. Hong inspired me to keep going and I respected his confidence to travel. I missed talking with him on the road today, particularly his mandarin classes for me. I still have my books but it certainly help led with him teaching me proper pronunciation.

It is always a very difficult thing when saying goodbye to a good person when travelling around. I have learnt to do this many times in the past and I've certainly learned how to do it on this trip now as well. The feeling of emptiness is multiplied on this trip, as I have no clue when il meet another person or if I'll have a chance to really connect with someone like I would with my mates back home. This is where those life skills come in and I work off my complete confidence that everything's going to be alright.

The ride out of Beachport was relatively easy. I stopped in Robe for a good swim and also met two girls travelling around in a van, it was good to have a chat and start mingling with others after being comfortable with Hong for the last week.

I pulled into Kingston where I had trouble finding any free camping spots. Apparently there were a few spots roughly 10km or so out of town. I didn't want to mess around so I checked into a campgrounds, which again nearly sent me broke. It's becoming very frustrating to find only $20 sites to set my tent up on an empty bit of land in the middle of an empty country town. Anyway at least this was in town and I had comfort of getting up having clean water and being able to head straight off.

Tomorrow morning I have a very big day. This is going to be 150 odd km. It is supposedly on relatively flat land, so I have my fingers crossed. I have learnt not to expect anything and always assume anything can happen, so for this reason I am planning to leave by 8 am. This means 150km at roughly 20km average that il be done in roughly 7.5 hours plus 1 hour break time and that I'll pull into Meninge by 5pm.





No comments:

Post a Comment