Tuesday 12 February 2013

Day 38 (Adelaide - Rest Day)

I feel like a delicate princess after complaining in yesterdays blog. I spoke about my sleep in the bush and how it was somewhat disrupted. In comparison to the sleep I had in Adelaide's cheapest hostel last night the bush was five star. This particular hostel is the worst place I've stayed in. If your after a big communal scene then it's probably wouldn't be to bad, but after a long days riding this place is certainly not ideal. It has one stove top for cooking, one toilet and one shower, rats walking in the kitchen, grime all over the toilet sink (deliberately not using bathroom, as it is more of a toilet room than bathroom) and all this is set up to cater for at least 50 plus backpackers.

The room I slept in was directly next to a busy street that also included strips of pubs and clubs. Although this hostel is positioned in Adelaide CBD, being a backpackers and next to a busy street, the sleep I had resembled the same crappy sleep I was having throughout 2012, in the place where I house-shared. Having to breath dirty air, listen to random idiots scream and also listening to cars drive by all night. The worst thing is after sleeping along great ocean road I know the sound of waves crashing too well and am unable to replace the consistent sound of cars driving by for that of waves crashing.

At 4:30am one out of the 10 odd roommates I had decided to turn the lights on and rummage through all his bags for his lap top. As the room stunk and I had little chance of returning to sleep so I decided to pack all my gear up and go downstairs to have brekky early. I made good use of the time to search for another cheap hostel with descent ratings. I also searched some bike shops and a physio for my knee.

I've now checked into another hostel for $3 more per night, definitely worth it if I can get a good sleep. I have also managed to get my knee checked out today. The physio told me pretty much what I already knew and actually complimented me on my existing recovery training in particular my hard foam roller that I've brought along on the bike trip. The best thing that resulted was the minor pressure point work he did in realising some tension in my knee area. He also provided a few extra pointers and some additional stretches. He was a very nice guy. I picked up this feeling to be mutual as he was very talkative with me, particularly about my trip. This made the money spent on a physio a little less annoying as I left in a positive mindset.

This hostel so far seems nice, having a very spacious kitchen, nice common areas with a nice group of people and most importantly quieter rooms.

Feeling very tired and looking forward to some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment