Monday 25 February 2013

Day 50 (Streaky Bay to Haslam)

Day: 60km

I was planning on having a day off here. This is a gorgeous little town, made even better by a nice bay for swimming. I slept free last night on the sand, and thought I'd do the same tonight. The only downfall to this is that I then have to ride 120km tomorrow to Ceduna.

I decided around midday that I'd head halfway and make tomorrow a bit easier for my self. I was informed that there is free camping in this small area called Haslam.

I met a few people in town this morning and had a bit of fun together. I spent time with two young guys travelling the coast and we got along well. We were kicking a footy around and had a good swim. It was crazy when we were out swimming as I bumped into a family from Rye as well. Rye is a small beach town where I grew up till the age of 12. The family knew my name and one of the boys was in the same class as my middle brother. They also played basketball together. When I said my name he instantly asked if my brother was Scott. He was very lively when hearing he was my brother, asking enthusiastically how he was going. I explained that as part of my trip I'm fundraising for a youth focused organisation. One that helps troubled youth, particularly those into the drug scene. I explained I haven't been able to talk properly with my brother for a number of years now and that he is in a very bad condition. The family were quite shocked, as they remembered him as a kid who was very lively and always fun to be around.

We had a good chat and then in the afternoon I shot off for Haslam. On my ride there, it was quite ironic as I received some great news of my oldest brother. He had just found out that he is going to be a father for the first time. In these situations I think even more of my middle brother and the type of life he could of had.






No comments:

Post a Comment