Tuesday 12 February 2013

Day 40 (Adelaide - Rest Day)

This morning both my friends from last night left. We arrived in the hostel around 4:30am last night and the Austrian girl had to leave for a bus not long after. The French guy also took off this morning, leaving on his motorbike in the direction of Alice Springs. I have been fortunate enough to have nothing organised so had a descent sleep in this morning.

Upon waking up I noticed I've been bitten by bed bugs. My whole body is covered in bites. They have gone from my toes, on both feet, all the way in straight lines to my shoulders. I am not sure if this is a result from this hostel or the previous hostel. If I had my guess it would be the previous hostel but this has not deterred me from switching beds and also informing the hostel.

As I woke up I was having a chat with an American guy who I met yesterday. We were both keen for a relaxing arvo so decided to head down into Glenelg beach. I had heard from a few people that the beaches around Adelaide aren't to flash. These statements were made from foreigners and also didn't seem to be the type of people to actually have a close look at the physical nature of the beach. Arriving into the beach I was surprised and wrapped as this beach is beautiful. It is a rough type of bay, not having waves yet being very nice for swimming. It made me wander why they said it was no good. The sand is perfectly white, spacious shoreline and the water is clear. Either it is no good in terms of looking through a camera lens or it is no good because they heard other people say it and may have continued in the innuendo. When I notice behaviour like this it makes me realise how powerful rumours can be and how wide spread they can hit. People will hear a statement and then for some reason will revoice this statement in another situation. It may be done with no thought yet I feel as this is done with some type of intention to appear educated or informed on a particular topic. It is a type of feeling to be involved in a conversation, the need to voice an opinion, even when found upon no evidence and built off one individuals experience. In thinking of this I wouldn't be able to say I'm innocent of this behaviour as I'm sure I've done the same in the past.

None the less we had a great day. We also spent the afternoon with a Japanese and Korean girl. We had fish and chips down the bay and casually headed back into the city via the tram. The Japanese girl Is very polite and had a very kind nature. This has been all I've observed from Japanese people during my trip.

This has been a really great day. The only thing I feel bad about is not getting in touch with my mate who lives here in Adelaide. We've been meaning to catch up since I pulled into town yet haven't got around to it. Hopefully tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment