Tuesday 19 February 2013

Day 48 (Kimba to Wudinna)

Day: 105km
Weather: 40+

I surprisingly had a good sleep last night, even though I slept on an ant field in a gravel car park. I got up, packed all my gear and had some brekky with the French girls before I shot off. They were both very nice and I'm hoping to bump into them again somewhere throughout the journey.

As I left in the morning the towns sirens started going off. They sounded exactly like sirens from an old war movie, as if to indicate a raid was about to take place. Thinking about it these sirens could have potentially been set up for this purpose back in the day. Moments later a few fire trucks flew past. As it was stinking hot I started thinking about how perfect these conditions are for fire. Very hot, dry arid farmland, windy day and not a lot of water in the area. Without stressing about it I inquired around town to find out where the fire was. I was informed that it was in the same direction where I was heading. From what the locals heard it didn't appear to be very serious. I figured I wouldn't be deviating off any main roads today, so I took off despite these fire alarms.

The ride was hard at times with wind, but the reduction in km's from yesterday made today's ride seem a lot easier. Today I made sure to load up on plenty of water, as I knew it would be at least 90km before I'd see any civilisation.

It was getting late in the day. I had about 14 km to go at around 17:15. I realise most towns close at 18:00 so I pushed the pace a little harder to make sure I get in on time. I was really keen to get into a grocer so I could get some veggies to mix with my cous cous. My diets has chiefly consisted of starched, processed foods lately and I'm now craving something wholesome. I pulled into town with 5 minutes left. I ran in and got my self some discounted beans and fresh fruit. As I walked out of the grocer I asked a few locals about any free spots to set up my tent. The town had a caravan park but this cost over $24.

I was standing at the front of the grocer contemplating my next move when seconds later an American man came up to chat with me. Admittedly I was to buggered to get involved in the conversation so wasn't overly keen to talk. Seconds later he offered me a room to stay, my ears certainly pricked up then. I followed him a few hundred meters down the road and brought my gear inside his place. This man is an absolute gentleman. He is a GP working around South Australia as a rural doctor. He gets given small apartments to live in for a week or so while he works in town. His wife's in Adelaide and he decided to come here around two years ago for a lifestyle change.

The thing I liked most about this man is that he understood what I'm doing. He just got it. I didn't have to try explain my trip, where I'm going or anything else. He understood me very well. An example is also how he reacted when I said I don't eat meat, again just understanding without interrogating. He turned the tv off as soon as I ate my dinner, another thing I appreciated. It was as if he could understand what I was about. It's very rare to meet people who are naturally the same way inclined. He explained to me that he rode his motorbike around the U.S when he was younger, so I've gathered he's also got an adventurous spirit.

He was offering me food, beers, soaps and anything else you could think of. I started doing some reparations on my bike and he even got me some tape to help fix it. I really couldn't believe my luck. Not only I have a free room, I've met an unbelievably great person who I'll remember throughout my journey.

I've had a good wash up and now jumped into a comfortable bed. A great way to wind down after a few hot days and long riding!







No comments:

Post a Comment