Monday 25 February 2013

Day 51 (Haslam to Ceduna)

Day: 70km

Today was boiling hot. I was pushing hard in the heat and was very relieved to get into town. I scanned the surrounding area for caravan parks as I am hoping to recover here before starting the Nulllabor. I have been informed by many people Ceduna is the last proper town before heading over the Nullabor.

Arriving into town it is very uninviting, as there are a number of Aboriginal people wandering the streets intoxicated. It is really a very alarming scene, as many will approach you asking for money or alcohol of some sort. I took time to talk to a few, who could barely even manage a conversation. What ever words they did say were centred around alcohol. It showed me that it is a different type of intoxication that these people have. In general most persons who are intoxicated will talk rubbish about a random topic for a long time or they will ramble about some other useless information, as I'm sure those of you reading would know. All these people here would talk about is getting more booze. This is a genuine shame, and I feel that not only myself but every Australian should feel for. It was not drinking for any other reason than to wipe themselves out. This is the type of lifestyle that is fuelled by excessive government welfare, a lack of cultural understanding and an afraid non-indigenous population who don't know how to deal with it. Having three heavily advertised bottle shops in town also wouldn't help. This is what makes our indigenous populations living standards among the worst in the whole world. The young children who weren't drinking alcohol were all drinking cola or eating junk foods. This has made me feel very uncomfortable, and irritates me knowing this type of lifestyle can happen within such an established country.

I found a good caravan park where I can rest for a day before I take on the Nullabor. In my camp site are two Christian people who are very nice. We've spent the night talking about different issues and having a bit of fun. We were fortunate as some other campers came up to give us some food. This has been delicious, as we have eaten fresh crab along with some healthy veggies.





No comments:

Post a Comment