Sunday 17 February 2013

Day 46 (Pt Augusta - Forced rest day)

This morning I woke up still very annoyed. I was feeling more irritated at this point and my anger was starting to build. I had suspicions as to who may have took my phone but accusing someone is always a difficult thing. I realised that it was out of 3 or 4 different people, as not many people were coming through the camp ground kitchen in the period it was taken. I approached these people but each expressed the same surprise as each other and said they didn't see it. I was leaning to one of the guys in particular, a shoddy, cheap, wannabe American rapper telemarketer on a short work trip from Adelaide. Admittedly as soon as I saw this guy I wanted to punch his face in. Despite this feeling and the fact he was a genuine moron, and probable thief, I had no evidence and would not have been warranted to do anything to him. I let him know either way that I really needed my phone and that if he found it to hand it into camp reception (hoping it could ease pressure and that he could just drop it in saying he found it, if it were him). I was aware it was a younger person as the phone was switched off straight away, indicating they were cluey with smart phones and also familiar with the whole procedure of stealing a phone. This really hit me deep inside. I don't understand why people feel the need to steal. I'd imagine the guilt of this far out weighing the pleasure of stealing itself. For any person who is mature enough to understand the concept of stealing sympathy cannot be warranted for them. In Australia in particular, no person can physically find them selves in a situation requiring the need to steal, unless your a junkie of some sort and need quick cash for a short fix.

Anyhow I realised I couldn't sit around being pissed off all day so I went down to the police station in the morning. Surprise surprise the cops didn't give a toss. The officer wrote me the report and as he was casually explaining there's not much they can do. My angst for the laziness that is inherited amongst the Australian police force grew here. I explained to the officer I had the details of this person, as the camp ground had provided them to me. He wasn't interested. I explained that he was a telemarketer and he could be chased up through the company he worked with, maybe do a background check on him. Again not interested. The argument to defend this behaviour that "more important things need to be done" can genuinely not be warranted, especially in this situation. It was early in the morning and all the officers were sitting in the room with a coffee. It was evident they weren't bothered in going out on site. In this particular situation I realised that the police force system is ran similar to a business, where officers are incentivised to meet targets and unless you have an exceptional officer with initiative, everyday issues will not be resolved. It may not be written on paper or may not be publicly disclosed, but there is no doubt officers need to produce results. It is unfortunate these results are fining people for not wearing seatbelts, driving 5km over or what ever. Fair enough this is law and has to be done but it is a real shame the police force have an inbuilt laziness and no motivation for work, that doesn't fit in with this quota system. To many times I've had things stolen now, and observed the same behaviour over and over again.

At least I've gotten a police report and can now hopefully get a new phone through my dealer. I went into a phone network shop and had the phone canceled and sim changed etc. It is fortunate that smart phones are relatively cheap now and that I can still continue my photos etc. without to much disruption. On a positive side at least now I can get going and continue my trip.

After this I went to the Arid Lands Botanical Gardens with a Swiss guy from the campgrounds. This was great fun, although very very hot . We walked all day and I was buggered. I learnt a fair bit about plant use, in particular bush foods. I was yet again amazed by the Aboriginal knowledge of this environment. I took a few leaves off a medicinal tree and saved it for a cuppa tea later on this evening. As we left here I put the thumb out and the Swiss fellow and I tried to hitch a ride back into town. Eventually we got a lift for a few km's to the shop. We got some veggies and headed back into the camp grounds. We had a good feed and I am now ready again to shoot off for tomorrow. Roughly 160kms for tomorrow!!









No comments:

Post a Comment