Tuesday 12 February 2013

Day 39 (Adelaide - Rest Day)

This morning I felt much better. I woke up once during the night as other people were coming into the dorm. I also presume the last few nights have added to an inconsistent sleeping rhythm and contributed to me waking up, but know this should give way in the next few days.

The hostel is nice and my dorm is also good. The dorm is large, perhaps being able to accommodate for around 24 people but currently only having 4 of us. I cooked up a really good feed last night and this morning it paid off. I've crammed in a fair bit today, mostly walking around as I waited for my bike to get fixed up. I needed to replace a part on the front right pannier rack as it broke as a result of shoddy workmanship from the gentleman in Geelong. I had this worked on after the crash I had. Luckily these guys had the part and I didn't have to spend the rip off $220 they mentioned for a new rack.

Something funny happened today when I walked past the lift in the hostel. I could smell a heavy amount of marijuana and wasn't sure where it was coming from. As I saw the lift open I saw a guy walk out but also noticed the whole lift was full of marijuana smoke. The guy swore he didn't smoke in it but admittedly said he felt high. I couldn't believe how much smoke was in it. After the owners of the hostel copped a whiff in reception they were also drawn to it. After further investigation it was a couple of guys in the basement and they were completely unaware that the lift was acting as a smoke box and making all its passengers high.

Later on in the night I bumped into a few people I had met earlier. They were both traveling alone and were really easy to get along with. One of them was a French guy who has just motorbiked from Tassy to Melbourne and then up to Adelaide. We had gone through similar tracks and got along really well. The other was an Austrian girl who was also very easy going. Me and the French guy went down for a game of table tennis. Both being low on cash and trekking lightly I thought we'd make a wager during the game of table tennis. The wager was a drink for when we headed out, as it is Saturday night and we were both keen. I beat him but then only realised he told me earlier that he was a gambling addict. I felt bad as I only just remembered after the bet and didn't want this to trigger anything else off. I changed the wager to 3 dollars as we ended up going on a $13 pub crawl and made it a straight ten for me and not to bad on him.

We had a great night and have had a chance to see the night life around Adelaide.



No comments:

Post a Comment