Thursday 28 February 2013

Day 58 (Border Village to Madura)

Day: 208 km

This morning was quite confusing. My phone had automatically changed time as I was close to the border. It said I was awake at 5:30 W.A time. The confusing thing about this is that their are three different time zones until I get to Caiguna, which is another 450km. Undecided to stay in bed a little longer, despite the heavy wind almost making it impossible.

I got to the border and decided to relax. It was raining so I thought I'd stay inside until it cleared up. I wrote a few blogs and caught up on a few emails. As it cleared I thought I better head off. It was roughly 40km to a road house but I was hoping to get about 100km in today. I went straight past the first roadhouse and ended up hitting another one 100 odd km further. I got in around 17:30 S.A time but it was 16:00 local time. I still had energy and wanted to go further. I saw there was a roadhouse further 110km away. I stoppe at the roadhouse but was hard to get comfortable. I felt the wind hitting my body and every second my mind was saying keep going. It would have been such a waste to not take advantage of this. I was feeling a little tired but certainly ha the head space to keep going. I ran into the roadhouse, got a homemade cookie and then took off.

I rode as hard as I have on my whole trip. The first 100km today I had an average of around 25km, the last 100km my average went up to 30km. This must have meant my average for the last 100km was 35km or higher, unbelievable considering my load and fatigue from yesterday. I had that thing they call adrenaline running through me, so there was no chance of me going any slower.

The sun was going down with about 10km left to reach the road house. I was really pushing hard as I didn't want to have to stop to get my lights out. This sunset was possibly the best that I've ever seen in my life. I think this was made even more beautiful by the fatigue I felt and knowing I've jus ridden 200km + over the Nullabor. I had Wedgetail eagles flying all around me and it appeared that they were flying with me. They looked incredible, a real spectacle in the sky. One of them would have been at least 5 metres wide. I actually mistook it for a small tree, with its light brown and mixture of vibrant yet darker colours. They just stay in the one spot in the air, looking as to not even exert any energy.

I pulled into the road house around 20:00 local time and set up my tent. Hoping to do another 160 odd km tomorrow!











No comments:

Post a Comment