Thursday 7 February 2013

Day 37 (Langhorne creek to Adelaide)

Day: 88km
Total:
Vic to Adelaide:

I had a fairly disrupted sleep last night. As I was falling a sleep the possums were out and it sounded like they were trying to get into my gear. Luckily I was well organised last night and had my food properly covered. Before bed I managed to go over a few travel plans with some older fellas who were camping close by. One of the men had driven down the Nullabor just recently so he was very insightful. It felt like a scene out of a war movie. The man heard from another camper that I was riding into W.A so he came up and said in a very stern voice "so you wanna ride the Nullabor". We sat down in the dark, he pulled out a road book and sat a torch on the table. We went through each small town, distances and camp areas. It made me feel a whole of a lot more comfortable as at least now I know what one getting my self in to.

This morning I took off for Adelaide. I was expecting it to be about 78km and be quite easy in. I got hit with a few hills at the start and fatigue started to sink in. I stopped halfway in Mount Barker and enjoyed some local food in the bakery. I was hoping this would give me a bit more energy. I noticed the bakery was full of German sounding rolls and cakes. I remembered hearing something that Adelaide had a heavy German influence early in the 20th century and this had to be concealed during WW2.

I got back on the road only to realise that I could not travel the route I had planned . I entered onto the main fwy of Adelaide, which was also very busy as it was peak hour by the time I entered. I couldn't believe how many cars there were as I was thinking Adelaide would be something like Hobart. I went about 500metre down then I saw a few signs saying no bikes, it was a crazy feeling entering on this massive fwy. As I was very fatigued I was wishing to just keep going until the city, this would have been roughly 18km in. I saw a police car parked hidden on the fwy so thought it'd be best to turn back. After a few hours of asking questions and riding back roads I managed to get on a road into the city. At the time I was becoming very irritated, almost feeling like I would kick the next car that would feel the need to unnecessarily toot or swerve close as I was riding.

Once arriving into Adelaide the tension had dropped and I had a massive feeling of relief. I was so tired during the ride but looking back I am very grateful for riding through these mountainous areas in Adelaide's suburbs. These were beautiful, similar to the Dandenong's in Melbourne's outer east region. I love this type of environment, perhaps as it was here where I could get away from the unpleasant people and surroundings when I was a teenager. I feel comfortable and also a type of cleansing feeling, fresh air, beautiful scenery, dedication to ride and the feeling of my muscles burning as I keep climbing. Riding through this area it also helped clear up my knowledge about Adelaide having a German influence. I passed many places with German names and also German style houses. There was one particular area called "Hahndorf" which was equivalent to little china town for Germans. It was a lot more beautiful and also more elegant then little china town. They had all sorts of German shops including foods, Birkenstock shoes, beer gardens, bakeries and more. The street went for quite a while, if I'm ever back I'll definitely go back and enjoy the area.

I decided to stay at the same hostel tonight where Hong was the other day. It's the cheapest in town and naturally it is full of cheap inconsiderate backpackers. It's almost expected that the cheaper a place is the people have less morals. Here it is very loud, dirty and messy. No wonder why Hong felt out of place here. It's difficult because you don't want to pay anymore and if you do then you will be staying with people who are more arrogant and somewhat snobby. At least in cheaper places people are down to earth and like to meet others. The most ideal is to find something in between. When I talk about this money difference I'm talking between a 3$ to $6 more, this is generally the most variation a hostel will have in price. It is common when travelling on these budgets to select a hostel specifically for being $1 less. The demographic in a hostel does shift considerably, even though it is only $1 difference in a hostel. The hostels have a different crowed, different age groups and different attitudes based solely on a couple of dollars. Surprising when you think that all people in hostels usually spend a fair few dollars on cigarettes and alcohol. This would be another one of those studies I would like to investigate, in particular why people are deeply enticed by only $1 yet will buy marijuana or alcohol for $30 or more. Without much thought I'd presumably base it on the most common behaviour of wanting to conform and follow what they believe is valued by others and trying to fit in by doing it.

As I look out of this hostel gazing in to a pokies and strips of pubs and clubs, while trying to ignore the sound of traffic and smell of cigarettes I am reflecting on Hongs message. He sent me this after he called an end to his trip "I give up my trip,please bring my heart to travel,I always support you ,my best friend!!"
















No comments:

Post a Comment