Monday 25 February 2013

Day 49 (Wudinna to Streaky Bay)

Day: 158.90km
Time on bike: 7hours 7minutes

I slept like a baby last night. It is very reenergising to have a good wash and a comfortable bed. As much as I love being out in a natural setting it sometimes becomes frustrating, as countless ants, mosquitos and heavy wind become very annoying after a while. If I knew the proper bush remedies and types of plants that provide the right smoke as repellent then I'd be loving it. It is also a little frustrating having to set the tent up solo in these conditions.

After talking with my new American friend last night I decided to head to the coast today. This was an added detour but I thought would be more scenic. I rode about 100km to Pt Kenny, where I thought I'd set up camp. Pulling in to Pt Kenny I didn't have a great feeling. There was a very strong tail wind in the direction of Streaky Bay, the town I was planning on going to next. I had a look on the map and realised Elliston was roughly 20km in the opposite direction. I had been informed a while ago of a severe massacre in Elliston, where roughly 100 Aboriginal people were forced off a cliff. I was unaware I was so close. Perhaps this was why I felt unease pulling into Pt Kenny and why the wind was pushing me outwards.

Pt Kenny is very small, only having a small milk bar and a pub. It's amazing how every small town lacks basic supplies and services, yet always have a pub... I asked the man in the milk bar if he knew anything about the Aboriginal culture, in particularly about the history at Elliston. He laughed, claiming that "All the abos had been killed". I asked if he knew what the massacre in Elliston was about, he had no idea. I asked if there were any museums or plaques in the area, he said there was nothing around.

It was late in the day and it was 60km to Streaky Bay. I decided that I wouldn't stay Pt Kenny, and that I'd take advantage of a strong tail wind. As I was at the front about to leave an old lady walked in to the milk bar. She gave me one of the most foul looks I had ever seen. I wasn't sure if it was because I looked scruffy, with a beard and all, or if it was because I had an Aboriginal flag on the bike. I said G'day and got little response. This made me realise that the mentality of older Australians is genuinely no different to the same line of thinking that Nazi Germany had. The fact that these old people, even my Australian grandparents, condoned policy for forcibly removing children from families, numerous massacres, discreet slavery, and genocide through strategic government planning illustrates this. These things happened all as the people went by day to day life, with nobody caring. They can claim they had no idea of what was happening or they had no choice, the same as the German nazis. No difference really at all. An old bloke yesterday I spoke with told me stories of an "Abo"who worked on their farm, and he couldn't believe the Aboriginal man wanted money. He said laughing, the greedy bastard got fed, can't believe he expected money!!

The spot I'm in now is beautiful. Streaky Bay is a lot nicer than Pt Kenny. The wind is incredibly strong though!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment