Wednesday 6 February 2013

Day 35 (Kingston S.E to Meninge)

Day: 152km
Total trip:
Vic to Adelaide:

Today required riding along a very long road, that had absolutely no human activity besides one road house in the middle and what appeared to be old vacated houses in between. I had a stop after 90km cycling in a town called Salt creek. When I say town all this is is a road house and absolutely nothing else. I am now riding through areas with very little services in between, which is good as it is preparing me for the long bare roads on the west coast.

I was fortunate to have the winds behind me in few sections of the day, in particularly the last 40km stretch. On either side of this road were many salt lakes, with large parts of the lakes having very putrid smells. I couldn't believe seeing old farm houses directly next to the lake. I thought that perhaps after a few months this smell might become bearable..

After listening to some people talk in the road house and reading some signs in Meninge I now realise that the Murray river used to flush these lakes out and make them healthy fresh water areas. Since European influence the river has slowed down and not been able to flush through the lakes, at least this is what I've gathered. It made me realised how much the Aboriginals way of life would have been disrupted, on so many levels that we couldn't even think of. The traditional people knowing what species would be there in certain seasons etc. completely being out of whack. Something the western would have no idea of at all, not understanding how deep environmental connections can be.

When I pulled into town I went into the IGA and bought a litre of soft drink. I never have soft drink yet I was desperate for sugar. This stuff was rubbish and made me think about having a good feed to recover after the ride. I wasn't sure where I was going to stay as the only camp ground in town was $18. As I wanted a good feed I wanted to cook something but was to tired to get my cooker out. I thought bugger it, I'll have a lentil sandwich and save my money. This way I'll camp in the bushes and save money for when I'm in Adelaide and have to stay in accommodation. I saw a travel van in town and approached the two people in it. They were German guys looking for the public bbq. I decided to spend time with them and kill a few hours before I camped in the bush. They were very polite, even offering extra kangaroo meat that they were cooking up. I was very delighted when I realised it was kangaroo as I do not eat beef and having this meat would have kept my mind off food for the rest of the night.

As we were eating the two girls I bumped into in Robe pulled in. At first I didn't recognise them then she explained and I clicked. They were in shock by the fact I beat them to this town, also considering it was 200 away from robe and I only saw them yesterday.

After this the German fellas left and the girls went and camped in there vans in the same area I have planned for the night.

I've jumped in for a swim in the Alexandrina lake, had a good feed and now have a free tent site in a beautiful spot. I am very happy now!











No comments:

Post a Comment