Wednesday 2 January 2013

Day 1 (Devonport to Cradle Mountain- Iris River)

Day: 98km
Total: 98km
Weather: 33degrees

This morning was a really weird feeling. I think the feeling was deepened by the fact I hardly slept on the boat over, no sleep from New Years, and working on night shift for the last week. I felt a little dazed, perhaps out of my depth. I also realised that it was actually real and I was alone with my bike in a place I know nothing about- besides Tassies pristine environments and its indigenous histories.

My knowledge didn't mean much, as the people I spoke with knew nothing about Tassies indigenous history and also thought I was crazy for wanting to go solo into the wilderness. I can't really blame them I suppose..

I managed to meet a great family from Melbourne, down in Tassy for a short holiday. They had given me a few pointers and not long after I left on the bike for cradle mountain. I spoke with a few others on the way, investigating what the road up to cradle mountain was like. The response varied from "good" "a little long and winding" and also "a few hills throughout". Turned out this didn't really apply for the bicycle.. it was one of the biggest climbs I've done and multiplied dificulty by the mass load I'm carrying on the bike. It was roughly 90 odd km away from Devonport, however a few extra stops and a few missed turns added my total to just under 100km.

On the way up I stopped in a place called Moina I had a good chat with a few fellas at place I stopped into to fill up my water. They started telling me how they've been to Melbourne, one bloke said excitedly that he used to live in Bendigo.. To keep his eagerness up i acted enthused when he told me. The fellas gave me a few handy pointers and explained a natural space where there's a river and open area to set up the tent. 28km later I made it to this spot and managed to set all my things up.

As I was cooking a lentil/brown rice dish mixed with Australian bush herbs and curry powder I jumped in the river for a bath and stretch. After the bath and after a good feed I felt like a million dollars.

I'm in my tent now, listening to the river run next to me and writing this blog. I can't wait for a good nights sleep! Now that I'm in this setting I feel a lot more comfortable, especially when I think about the noisy city and my dusty, exhaust fume filled share house in South Yarra.

Good fortune- found a good camelbak BPA free drink bottle on the side of the road.
- met some good people
- made it to a good spot

Bad fortune- lost my hard anodised trangia cook bowl in the river as I was washing it.











No comments:

Post a Comment