Saturday 12 January 2013

Day 11 (Orford to Bicheno)

Day: 101km
Total: 787 km

This morning I woke up a bit heavy. I believe it to be probably a combination of waking up in the middle of the night from a few loud campers and also from consuming a bit of dairy yesterday. It felt like the food I had the night before had been stuck half way in my stomach. It's difficult to gauge whether its dairy in my system or because its sitting hours on end on the bike and only consuming sugary lollies.

After cycling around trying to find some public toilets I finally spotted one. This worked out well cause I then dropped my phone off to charge at the towns only cafe in Orford. I went back, had brekky, packed all my gear and then said bye to my fellow campers.

The ride was ok, tough at times as any 100+ride would be. Overall it was ok, although I was wrapped to pull into Bicheno. During the ride I stopped at a couple local farmer houses. One stop was a little wine and walnut house. This reminded me of something that Charles Darwin would have encountered during his travels around the world. In the house was a nice Italian girl. After chatting with her I learnt that she is working in the farm for her visa requirements. I think she was pleased to have someone come in to talk with her. She let me try a few walnuts for free, these were the best tasting and freshest walnuts I've ever eaten. I felt like I needed to repay the favour, so when a couple walked in looking at wine I said enthusiastically "The wines great here!!" the girl looked at me with a bit of a smile. Seconds later I was caught out when the couple asked me which was my favourite..

When I finally pulled into Bicheno I asked a local backpackers for any info in camp grounds and managed to find a site close by. Here I cooked up a few local venice sausages on the BBQ and had some tasty home made tomato sauce from a fellow camper. Good recovery meal I thought.

Pros - Met a nice Italian girl and had some free straight off the tree walnuts.

Cons - Digestive problems, potentially lactose related









No comments:

Post a Comment