Tuesday 8 January 2013

Day 7 (Hamilton to Hobart)

Day: 84km
Total: 590km
Weather: High 20's with afternoon rain and occasional cold breeze

Last nights sleep was pretty good. I was spewing cause I left the pole that holds the top part of my tent up at Derwent Bridge. I must have left it in a mad rush, after sleeping with the wallabies, and with all the ants and mosquitos trying to eat me alive in the morning. There was no chance I was heading back for it, but now I need to try find another pole.

The riding today was pretty good. At some points it was very difficult with the wind, but due to my hard work in the last couple of days the distance was shorter today making any hard riding more bearable. It started raining quite heavily in one section. I thought about stopping to cover my gear up, but I was averaging 30km/hour so no chance pulling over in those conditions. The wet surface must have made easier for the wheels to spin.

To my pleasant suprise I had an email from someone involved with FoE. The email offered a place to stay for when I'm in Hobart. To my luck that was tonight and also to my luck the lovely lady said it was ok to stay tonight. I had no real idea where I was going to stay tonight, as most hostels are expensive and from what I've gathered big cities don't really have camp grounds.

It was weird riding into Hobart. It sort've felt like the ending of a bear grylls episode, when he makes it back to civilisation. My attitude quickly dampened when a massive truck held down the horn as he drove past me on the freeway 3km off Hobart.

In the Main Street of Hobart I grabbed some food and sat down for a while. Trying to figure out what I was going to do over the next few days. I googled some cheap hostels as a back up if the place I stayed at didn't work out. The only place I tried was a little bit out of town and was luckily in the direction of where my FoE friend lives. It was crazy, I managed to bump in to my Japanese mate from Strahan. I couldn't believe it, I saw his bike and and then saw him inside. As I explained what I was doing he had a big smile and stated that we had a promise to meet again.

After speaking with my FoE friend she said that it was alright for Task (my Japanese friend) to stay as well. So Task and I cycled off together and have spent the night in Hobart South. We had a great dinner, an unbelievable dinner, with a great dessert. Half the food was picked straight out of there garden, which was a permaculture style set up. I was stoked, it was funny cause when Task realised we had beds he must've thought the exact same thing as me. He said in his broken English "as long as we have roof to protect us from wind", which I thought was very true. After dinner Task and I did the dishes. I am really glad he came along, as he used the same initiative that I would with the dishes and also very appreciative. I have traveled with other people in the past that never do dishes after meals and also have to be pushed to show appreciation for kind gestures.

Now after a great night I'm in bed getting ready to catch up on a few things tomorrow.












No comments:

Post a Comment