Tuesday 29 January 2013

Day 28 (Geelong to Apolo Bay)

Day - 118km
Total Vic - 242.25
Total trip - 1463.8
Hours (actual riding)- 6.22
Flat - 1


Today was a long and winding ride. It was however one of the most picturesque beautiful rides I've ever done. It was the first time, at least that I can remember in my life, that I have ever come down great ocean road past Torquay. No wonder why it's so world renown, it is amazing.

It was made even more enjoyable by the fact I was on the bicycle. An example of the added bonus by riding the bicycle is that I could stop whenever I felt to pick fresh blackberries off the side of the road. I could literally put my hand out and grab them next to the road. Very fresh and it appears that the added heat on mainland has made them ripen quicker then down in Tasmania. I also spotted some nasturtiums, which would have come in handy if I was camping out tonight.

I decided to sleep in a hostel as I was pretty buggered and for an extra 15$ I could cook dinner and lay straight down with out cleaning and putting away the cooker. I also thought that I might as well make the most of extra company before I head up into some desolate areas in S.A.

My bike still had a few errors, which I'm hoping to fix up tomorrow. The main concern I have a metal clip connecting my pannier rack to the frame, as it is clipping my spokes every time the wheel spins. I also need to sus out a new tyre, as today I had another flat from the same section I had one the other day. I sent an angry email to wiggle in the hope the order of tyres that I paid for a few months ago will come through a bit quicker.

I must also mention a feeling of satisfaction I have today, as I have made it into Apolo Bay which is a few hundred km's away from Melbourne. A few people had sent me messages back home insinuating that I would be hanging around longer and potentially not continuing with the trip. To overcome the comfort zone of being at home is a good start to get back into the journey.











No comments:

Post a Comment