Sunday 13 January 2013

Day 12 (Bicheno to Binalong)

Day- 98km
Weather- Mid 20's windy at times

Today was hard both mentally and physically. I woke up good and felt full of energy. I took off good, averaging around 20km per hour (compared to maybe 15km or less that I was doing on the west coast). The distance I needed to cover to get to my destination was roughly 75km and I assumed a little extra for finding tent site ect. It was after around 50km when I started to hit the wall a bit. It wasn't really a wall because I knew I could keep going, and mentally I knew I could keep going for hundreds of km more. It was the fact I was riding into the wind and it felt like I wasn't really going anywhere.

As I came closer to my destination I saw a female cyclist. I saw from a distance she had all her gear on the bike so instantly assumed she was a camper like my self. As I approached her we spoke about each others journeys, and pedalled out the last ten km rather easy. Her name is Briggite (pronounced in an Italian way although she is actually of Dutch origin) and she is travelling around Tassie for a month and a half on the bike. We eventually got into town and had a big feed, then followed it up with a swim in the bay. We were both thinking similar things, as we were both after budget accommodation- free tent sites. We bought some food in the IGA and then headed off in search for camp grounds. As we were in the IGA I refused to pay excessive amount for lemons to season our fish. I figured I'd find one in a garden somewhere..

We investigated in town about where we could go. We ended up riding off towards the bay of fires in the search of camp grounds. We had a dodgy map and didn't have much luck finding any spots. As we were looking for a tent site, one thing that was lucky was that I managed to find that lemon tree after all! After this it started raining lightly. We went back to a public toilet, which also had a free BBQ. As we were there the rain started getting stronger and stronger. It was pouring down. Water everywhere, all on our gear even though it was partially covered by shelter.

We decided to set the tents up there as we didn't have to many other options. After a good feed of fresh fish, capsicum and spinach we've now set the tents up and I'm ready for bed. I can hear the waves of Binalong beach crashing next to me and the heavy rain on my tent. I've left all my gear out in the sheltered area so hoping its all safe there.

Tomorrow I want to investigate the aboriginal history of the area. One thing I've already discovered is that the bay is called "Bay of fires" due to the large amounts of spot fires that the Europeans observed when they first arrived. This should be no surprise really, as many Europeans claimed to see many spot fires around all of Australia when arriving to shore.

Pros- Swam in a crystal clear pure beach
- Ate some fresh seafood.
- Managed to dodge a disaster with the rain and set my tent up ok.

Cons- Very wet (not something I can really call a con though)













No comments:

Post a Comment