Thursday 3 January 2013

Day 2 (Cradle mountain to Rosebery)

Day: 79km
In total: 173km
Weather: Sunny 32degrees

Today felt very hot to say the least. I woke up and it was quite cold, but it didn't take to long to heat up. In the morning I had a visitor, a bloke I met yesterday, who came to offer food and any other information I needed for the trip. This guy was an absolute gentleman, and when thanked in return he said "no worries, just helping a fellow cyclist".

After this I packed my gear up and headed up to cradle mountains information desk. Not long after I was on a bus down to Dove lake where I marvelled at the landscape, practiced some Chinese phrases with a couple and then jumped in to the lake for a swim. This lake is incredible, possibly one of the purest lakes I've swam in. I filled up all my bottles with the water and then headed back to get my bike.

Following the mountain I took off in the direction of Strahan. Strahan is roughly 170km away from cradle mountain, including mountainous terrain. I managed to do 80km to get into Rosebery, a small town influenced heavily by the mining sector. After investigating this further I learnt that it's an underground pit where they mine for tin, copper and other metals. The landscape is still intact and as a result the locals were more conservation orientated (at least the few I spoke with - the few others I saw didn't look like the environmental type). This showed me that when a community is so dependent on a particular industry it can override any personal opinion one may hold. In this case tourism is the second industry and it is only due to the pristine rainforest and a large waterfall just out of town.

As for tomorrow I met another Melbournian who just bought a bike and is keen to give it a spin. We will head into Montezuma waterfall, apparently the largest waterfall in Tassy. This is about 8km out of Rosebery. Following this I will head down to Strahan where I can hopefully get in for a swim in the beach, get some fishing in and also cruise down the Franklin river.

Good fortune- Met a Melbourne lad keen for a spin to the waterfall
- Got a good swim in

Bad fortune - Spent $35 for the day











No comments:

Post a Comment