Sunday 6 January 2013

Day 5 (Strahan to Derwent Bridge)

Day: 130km
Total: 298km
Weather: 26degrees

Today was an epic ride. I rode from Strahan (west coast) to Derwent Bridge (central highlands). I managed to get in around 20:15, just before sunset. I was expecting a few shops in the main strip but there was only one pub and a servo.

I couldn't find the camp ground near by and was to knackered to look for it so I set the tent up in some bush land a km away from the servo and pub. It's right in the thick of the bush land. This is the thickest vegetation in Australia that I've ever camped in. Right at this moment I think a wallaby (as I haven't seen many roos here) is directly next to my tent. I can hear it jumping and sniffing the ground. I'm hoping to god it doesn't jump on my tent and rip it open. There is also a lot of tassie devils and snakes in this area. It's I directly next to the largest natural reserve in Tasmania and also the national park Lake St Clair.

The ride down was huge, it was perhaps the toughest test I've had to date. It took me 9 hours of riding, through long winding and hilly roads. Physically I was ok and mentally I was also but I often had to remind my self to keep pushing. I contemplated stoping in the national reserve as I was riding through it for 58km. From hard work I got here just in time.

During the ride I met a few locals that were standing on a bridge over a beautiful lake. As I saw the lake I had contemplated a swim so when I saw those fellas on the bridge I pulled up straight away. They weren't to sure if they should jump, but after a little convincing they both jumped and I followed suit. After this it was a long ride through the franklin-smith natural reserve. This was the most archaic bush land/ rainforest that I have ever seen. It may well possibly be in the whole world. It is what you would imagine looking at the environment 200 million years ago.

I'm going to get some sleep now cause this wallaby, or whatever it is, is sniffing around my tent perhaps from the noise in making.

Good fortune - Made a good friend with a Japanese guy in Strahan
Bad fortune - Dropped my glasses coming down a hill and didn't want to lose momentum and get them







No comments:

Post a Comment