Friday 18 January 2013

Day 17 (Launceston to Devonport)

Day: 117km
Total: 1204 km

This morning was very relaxed. I had a good brekky, it was made even better as it was leftover cereal in the free section of the hostel. I didn't want to buy new cereal or bring to much food with me on the final leg today as I knew I'd be loading back up in Melbourne.

I left the hostel around 9:15am and had to arrive in Devonport before 6:30pm to get on board the Spirit of Tas. This gave me a little bit of pressure as I had the time limit, and I had to cycle roughly 110km. I had completed 110km in previous days in around 7 hours ride time, which included an extra hour or so stoppage time. I felt ok as I knew in a worst case scenario I could push a bit harder knowing I have a few rest days ahead of me.

When I left the hostel I said goodbye to my short lived friends. They were all very supportive of my trip and waved me goodbye. My Japanese friend gave me a pair of chop sticks as a goodby gift. I was stunned, I wasn't expecting a gift. This means a lot to me, especially as I've been to Japan and appreciate the Japanese culture. I'll be sure to hold on to these chop sticks.

I managed to make it to the ferry on time in the end. I got in around 5:30pm which allowed me to get some cheap food from the grocers so I didn't have to spend all my money on the ships food.


The ride back was good. I shared a cabin with 3 strangers, middle age to old men. They were alright, didn't talk to much really. I was absolutely buggered so slept like a baby, very different to my ride over to Tassy.









No comments:

Post a Comment