Wednesday 30 January 2013

Day 29 (Apollo Bay to Pt Campbell)

Day - 102km
Total Vic - 345km
Total trip - 1566km
Actual time spent on bike - 5:58

Today was a consistent winding road. It was challenging at times but nothing a bit of persistence couldn't fix. It was good as today I managed to get a bit of rhythm back after a week and a bit off.

I stopped after 50km to have a feed in a local road house. Very expensive but was expected. In hindsight I should've just ate my muesli instead. After this I continued along the great ocean road.

The sight of the twelve apostles was amazing. It felt surreal. It was really a strange feeling, possibly due to fatigue from the ride and also to the beauty of the environment. This was a time I will remember for my whole life. This part of the trip has been on my mind for a while and to finally see it is incredible.

Right now I'm in a local pub. I managed to get a backpackers discount for a cheap feed. In the pub I've noticed a young kid, possibly 8-10 years old. He's very overweight for his age and his family also appear to be. It made me a little annoyed as the kid has had a giant piece of steak, chips, veggies and salad. The steak would at least be 400gms, nearly bigger then the plate. My meal would be a quarter the size, minus chips and I've just done 100km of riding. The reason why it makes me annoyed is because my mind is thinking about thousands of hungry people, probably living off processed bread and other unwholesome foods while this kid is forcing half a cow down his mouth without even requiring the food for his body. The amount of resources put into producing the cow alone would be sufficient enough to set up a fully sustainable garden for a whole family. I can't blame these people, as I would have eaten larger unnecessary portions of meat in my time as well. The only thing I can blame is an uneducated society, ill informed of sustainable and healthy living. The parents do not even mind that the kid has left half of the steak on the plate. I really can't believe that all the meat, all the resources involved will now go into a rubbish bin. In a while to come I know this type of behaviour will be a big no-no, let alone throwing a large portion of meat away without being re-eaten, composted or recycled in some fashion.

On another note a lad from Hong Kong is riding the great ocean road also. We are pretty much following the same tracks, however he is really struggling. I bumped into him yesterday and offered a hand but he persisted by himself. He was really struggling, walking his bike up a hill. About three hours later he pulled into the same place where I was staying, as I had his number I sent him the details. I saved a bit of left over pasta for him, which he gobbled up straight away. He isnt the most polite guy but I certainly have respect for him the way he's keeping at it. He's now just pulled into Pt Campbell and messaged me asking for help with his bike, I reckon he'd be in a world of pain right now.

In my room is a Russian man, what might be his son and his sons wife. Could even be the mans wife, never know with the Russians.. When I went into the dorm it stank of sweat, the type you'd expect from a 50 year old Russian weight lifter that hasn't showered for a week. Unfortunately the window was already opened.. When I put my stuff on the bed he said in a thick Russian accent "welcome neighbour".. I'm in for a good night sleep...







No comments:

Post a Comment