Tuesday 22 January 2013

Day 21 (Geelong to Melbourne)

Today was emotionally a very difficult day. I had dropped off the bike first thing in the morning at a bike shop in Geelong. I had been informed that it would take at least a week to repair, as the front forks have been cracked and bent inwards. This means that when riding at fast speeds, particularly downhill, the bike is very susceptible to giving way. For the type of roads and distance I have planned the only option was to get it fixed. The derailer had been playing up and I asked the bike mechanic to fix that up as well. He mentioned that it appeared to be in shape, which was good as I thought he may of fed me some hogwash trying to get some extra $$. I am hoping it can be fixed with a few minor adjustments.

Nonetheless I realised I would be a week out. I still haven't had my back checked today, as I realised I would have a few days to kill so I will chase that up during this week.

This was very hard for me. Many things went through my mind. The cost - going to set me back further on my budget. The time - additional time to a pretty packed trip. The morale - off the bike for a few days and going back to my home town.

I made a few phone calls to people close to me. This helped a lot as it gave me a bit more morale and direction for what I should do. I was worried if I were to get my bike fixed in Geelong, what I would do with all my gear. I wouldn't have been able to carry this on the train that's for sure. I wasn't sure if the bike shop would store it, and after speaking to a good friend he offered to drive into Geelong to pick it up for me. I couldn't believe he offered that, it not only showed me how much support he had for me and the trip but also how genuine he is as a close friend. Luckily the shop had a shipping container out the back and they could keep, but my friends offer was still very much appreciated.

I caught the train back into Melbourne city feeling very deflated, dejected and in general a very down and depressed mood. I thought if I have a week free in Melbourne, I could at least get in a weeks work to pay for my unexpected expenses. I then realised two things. Without my touring bike to carry goods I would be unable to get a shift with rail work. With two dead shoulders and lower back pain any landscape work could potentially worsen my injuries. This made me even more frustrated.

The positive about coming back into my home city is that I can catch up with some of the people who I didn't have a chance to before I left. When I pulled into Melbourne I acted on this quickly and enjoyed some fish and chips with a mate of mine.








No comments:

Post a Comment