Wednesday 6 March 2013

Day 60 (Caiguna - Forced rest day)

I have chosen to take today off due to heavy rainfall. I will use today to write primarily about recent past events that I have not had a chance to write about. I will firstly cover the roadhouse we're I am now though.

I was fortunate last night as I had my tent under shelter. There was a bit of
noise around from the trucks pulling in and people in cabins, but this didn't bother me as I was out of the rain and staying dry. I had the option to stay in a cabin this evening. The rooms were $50 more and the state I was in when pulling in I could almost justify it. Knowing my sleeping bag and tent were already damp made this a difficult decision. Once I realised I could set my tent up under shelter, the thought soon banished. Sleeping under the shelter was a real luxury, I had no wind and most importantly no rain. I didn't have to worry about any animals, or at least I hoped so.

In the morning it was raining quite heavily. I thought to my self, what a good decision to stay in!. By midday the rain had cleared and weather turned overcast, with slight patches of sunshine. I then thought, maybe I should go!!. Fatigue kicked in and I had no chance of going anywhere, I could barely walk to the toilet. The wind is still a somewhat south easterly, shifting into a north westerly. The sooner for me to go the better. I checked the weather and realised the next few days are going to be strong west / north westerly winds. Considering the next leg for me is a 149km straight road into the west direction, a straight westerly wind at 25-30km an hour is going to kill me. I also need to prepare for heavy rainfall as locals keep telling me its going to pour down over the next few days. The change of wind and the warm change coming from the north has cast my doubts on the reliability of those statements. Either way I have decided to miss today, even with the chance of a tail wind, in order to rest and prepare for early tomorrow. I am aware that I will now probably be riding into a strong headwind but I have no other option.

I am sitting in the roadhouse and observing all the truckies come in. If I were to describe them they'd all have the same features. Large, rugged, big gut, short hair, love a drink.. They all seem to have the same mannerisms and so far on my trip I've seen they love the opportunity to get in an alcoholic drink. It is also common to see one of them sporting an alcoholic beverage logo on their clothing, or the classic Jack Daniels baseball cap. I was sitting in the roadhouse while the television was on. The news was on and it had a bit on Bob Brown and Sea Shepard. I wasn't watching the television, yet my ears pricked when this came on. I realised all the truckies, one in particular, got really annoyed having Bob Brown on the television. The trucky started mumbling to him self "get this f..ing shit off the t.v" "f...ing bullshit" and so on, for the whole time this segment was on. Later on I was reading the truckies national newspaper "Big Rigs". I observed articles adding to this type of 'anti-green' sentiment. I realised that this industry and the people involved in the industry (newspaper editors etc.) are installing these type of environmental fears into their minds. I can see quite clearly that many of them consider environmental advancements as threatening to there industry or even to there past time leisures. This might be fishing, motor car racing, 4wdriving or any other typically non environmental benign activity. These truckies would then instil this mentality into their families and the vicious cycle continues. The other day I was at a roadhouse talking to a young truckie and a foreign German girl. The young truckie was loving life as he thought he had an opportunity to romanticise a good looking foreign girl. He spoke about a few things, such as his love of Jack Daniels, his 1 year old son to a girl who has a restraining order on him, life in the truck etc. The topic of unique Australian words came up and bogan was mentioned. This young fella thought he'd describe what a bogan is and was under the impression it is Aboriginal people. His exact words were "We have a big problem here. It's what we call the nationals, or other words Aboriginals". As far as I was aware the nationals were an anti-aboriginal right of field political party.. Shows how much I know!!

I respect the work these guys do and I know deep down they are kind people. It is just a shame that there is such a divide, politically between two sectors of our country.

The other day when I was crossing the border from S.A into W.A I had a couple of native berries with me. I learnt of these berries after spending time with my Aboriginal friend in Ceduna. I carry these on me when I ride and thought I'd be fine bringing them into W.A, despite quarantine. If not it would be good to observe the quarantine inspectors behaviour as to why this wouldn't be possible. About 5km before entering W.A I found a fresh bush and grabbed a good handful of them. These are very tasty, salty and also would contain sugars. It is like a Powerade but natural, healthier and in a tasty berry that I can consume as I ride. I have been very direct with other travellers as not to bring fruit or veggies into W.A as I know the implications. I would definitely in no way attempt to bring something in knowing it could pose a threat environmentally. These berries are native all along the southern regions of Australia and from what my book tells me are particularly populated along the Nullabor plains.

Entering the quarantine section I showed the man the berries. I pointed to the bushes in the direction where I came from. It was also possible to see this plant in front of the quarantine office, bearing smaller, not yet ripened fruits. He claimed to have known this type of berry but wasn't sure if I could bring them through. I asked him what possible threat they could pose and he wasn't really sure, he was just "doing his job". He claimed that as the Nullabor plains provide isolation between states agricultural pests haven't been able to enter as freely into W.A. I explained these berries aren't isolated from the area, as they are native to this region. A bird would just need to excrete his faeces on the other side for the seed to be dispersed. He said he'd ask his boss and he then took the berries off me. He explained sweet potatoes and beetroot were the only things that could be brought in. Although very different, I use these situations to reflect on the old Aboriginal fellas back in the day. They must have seen these unhealthy looking white fellas telling them what they can and can't eat, and where to collect or not collect food. It must've seemed so obscure to them!

Early night now before a big ride tomorrow!!







No comments:

Post a Comment