Sunday 24 March 2013

Day 79 (The Valley of the Giants to Shannon National Park)

Day: 87.30
Time: 4hours 40minutes

Today was very hard on my body. I felt lethargic, dehydrated and also heavy. I cramped up on my inner thigh and didn't have the energy to keep pushing like I normally would. I felt a little like this yesterday, but as it was only a short ride I didn't pick up on it so much as today. The other night at the Wolery I had a few glasses of white wine with Bob and Marieke, and minimal water intake. I have reason to believe this is why I've been dehydrated the last two days and also contributing to the condition I've been in today.

During the night I woke up on a few occasions. The sound of the animals was certainly something different. I'm not sure what type of animals were making the sounds, but they were very unique. It was such a solitary experience, being alone amongst the giant Eucalypt trees. I surprisingly felt no concern at all, besides that of having a stray animal get into my bags, or tent. It's amazing to think how a human mind can work, as sleeping with my two metal chop sticks, for some type of self defence, provided enough comfort for me to fall fast asleep. I think the mini fire I had going may have provided some type of deterrent to any stray animals anyway.

I took off having a minimal breakfast. I had the last of my oats, perhaps a mouthful, and a few handfuls of peanuts. This wasn't the ideal breakfast considering the condition I was in yesterday. I thought last night being about 15km off Walpole, a small town with a few shops, I could camp with no food and load up in the mid-morning. Walpole was actually around 20km off and I felt pretty tired when I got there. I stopped there and loaded up on bread and also had an iron tablet. I haven't had any (or many) green veggies, or meat for the last few months and think my fatigue might also have something to do with low iron intake. I have felt great since having a non-meat diet so don't necessarily believe no meat has anything to do with my fatigue now. I figure having half the recommended dosage of iron tablets can't do me any harm, and may provide assistance with all my physical exertion.

I was hoping to get to Pemberton today, being around 120km away. I looked on the map and realised there was nothing in between Walpole and Pemberton, so had to be well prepared for this leg after my lunch break today. I asked in town if there were any spots to camp half way, just incase my body wouldn't hold up. I was informed of a national park about three quarters of the way in, so thought this would be a good back up plan.

The ride was hilly and difficult at times. I was pushing to make it on a few occasions, with my cramp making the climbing difficult. I stopped looking at my odometer, as I knew I didn't cycle as much distance as I had wanted. I wanted to keep pushing, as I have around 200km to get to Nannup. Nannup is the organic farm where I will volunteer for a week, in return for free food and accommodation.

The national park was about 80km in so I thought if I made that then at least tomorrow I could still reach Nannup, being only 120odd km's away. The day was getting late so I started keeping my eyes open for this national park, or any where to camp for that matter. I decided to have a look at the odometer and realised I was around 72km in. I saw a camp sign but realised it was leading down a gravel road. I thought I'd keep going for another ten or so km and hope to find another area for camping.

I saw a small turn off into the bush. I figured this would have some type of area for me to set up my tent. To my delight there were a few other campers around and the comfort of shelter under a few large trees. The weather looked ok but it's always reassuring to know you won't get your gear wet if it starts to rain during the night. As I pulled in a camper came up and explained he was the voluntary park ranger. He said it cost $9 to camp here, as they have a toilet close by. I started planning to get on my bike and continue riding into the bush to sleep free, until he explained cyclist camp free. I was very relieved. He then explained that I could sleep in a hut close by. I said I was alright and I'm fine with my tent.

I was informed campers weren't allowed to have any fires around their site. I was informed that in the hut you could make a fire inside. I thought in this case I'll go check it out, as it could be cosy to sleep in a hut with the fire going. I went into the hut and it looked like something off a horror movie. It was about a five minute walk from any of the other campers and situated amongst a few big pine trees. A lady had walked me to the hut to help show me where to go. I think she may have felt sorry for me so decided to give me a bag of potatoes, carrots and two minute noodles.

I took advantage of the free food and the fire place. I used my cooking bowl to boil the veggies on the hot plate on top of the fire. I've been sitting in the room by my self all night, listening to some music off my phone and enjoying a tasty and healthy dinner. I've had plenty of salt with my dinner, done a few stretches and now hope my cramp disappears tomorrow!!















No comments:

Post a Comment