Thursday 14 March 2013

Day 69 (Esperance -Rest Day)

This morning I woke up and it was pouring down. I realised I wasn't going to get far on my bike so had no other option but to rest in. A little annoying as I had plans to keep moving, but certainly not something that annoys me in such a beautiful place as Esperance.

I wanted to go see some of the natural parklands, however without a car, being 70 odd km away and being very wet I knew going on the bike wasn't an option. I left my bike at the hostel and Greg and I decided to go together. Greg has a car so we decided to go in that, only until I met a French fellow in the morning who was also keen on coming. I had seen this French man yesterday but hadn't spoke to him as he seemed to keep to him self. This morning I approached him, only to realise he spoke practically no English. I figured out he was keen for the national park so Greg and I decided to go with him. As we were leaving a Japanese lad came into the guesthouse, and the lady knowing we were about to leave, offered him to come along with us. We didn't mind, I thought it'd be a good opportunity to practice my Japanese. In addition I thought it would help break up some petrol money for Jack, the French fella.

The national park was amazing. It's called Cape le Grande and contains many small beautiful white sand beaches, along with thousands of hectares of natural reserve. The Japanese guy took plenty of photos while Jack, Greg and I jumped straight into the beach. It was fairly cold with overcast skies but this only added to the experience. We explored the park and I kept my eyes tight on all the native vegetation. I realised that many of the species here are considerably different to those along the Nullarbor plains, although many bearing similarities, and many appearing to be of the same genera and family groups.

We had lunch and I felt a little disobliged to eat as I didn't bring anything with me. I already ate before we left so didn't go to overboard with the food here. The Japanese fella on the other hand got right into it. I sort of stepped in at one point to put the food in front of Jack, as it was obvious he was hungry and the food was going quick. I was very surprised at the Japanese guys behaviour as I haven't observed that from the other Japanese I've spent time with on this trip. As we left and went back to the hostel I was surprised again, as the Japanese guy failed to offer any remuneration for Jack driving us to the park. Greg and I went to give him some money but he kindly refused. I thought it certainly would have been an act of rudeness if Greg and I paid for fuel while the Japanese fella walked away.

Greg and I went to the supermarket and I loaded up on my lentils and couscous. I managed to get some cheap headphones as well. I was surprised back at the hostel as Rick (the Maori fellow) had appeared to be in low spirits and in his room all day. Must have been a big night for him last night. I've now spent the evening with the guys and am looking forward to making my next step. I must admit it is now an empty feeling as I realise it will be 5 or so days camping on the side of the road until any civilisation again. These feelings have been perhaps the biggest contributors to my experience on the journey so far.















No comments:

Post a Comment