Sunday 31 March 2013

Day 85 (Merri-Bee Organic Farm - Nannup)

Today's duties included feeding animals, preparing fruits for sun drying, weeding, collecting seeds from plants and making bread.

I was surprised to learn that one of the primary sources of income for the farm is the sale of seeds. I have been informed that there is a high demand for non-gm seeds or seeds that have not been cross contaminated with anthropologically altered seeds. The benefit of buying certified organic seeds is that you have more reassurance of the plant being productive, as its genetics have not been altered. In addition the plant will pass down non-contaminated genes through further generations, meaning you can have a long supply of plant use once the initial plant dies or is no longer productive.

In my time on the farm I have learnt more on issues that I have previously only had slight awareness of. Since day one I have actively, and many times proactively, participated in diverse discussions. I feel my understanding on many issues has been further deepened. I have gained some type of reassurance on my existing knowledge so that I can further speak confidently on these issues. I must note a comment received off Max today, from when we were out feeding the animals. He said, "You certainly ask a lot of questions" "I think it is good because I'm also learning from them!!". I felt pleased with his comment as in the past, people often become tired of my constant need to know something. I have however felt the opposite from Julia, as every time I've asked a question Julia will giggle and look the other way. I feel as if she is insinuating my question is an obvious one, or perhaps believed to be irrelevant. Sometimes she will jump in and answer a question for Bee or Stuart, only to have Bee or Stuart moments later answer the complete opposite. In these moments I am reassured no question is ever stupid, and realise I should never feel embarrassed or reluctant to ask a question.

A great dinner tonight followed by fresh lemon myrtle tea off the farm, with a dash of honey.






No comments:

Post a Comment