Sunday 17 March 2013

Day 73 (Wellstead to Albany)

Day: 102km
Time: 4hours 39minutes

All night and this morning the rain was still heavy. It was very nice being under shelter I can assure you.

The man went to work but left the house open for me to go inside. Very trust worthy man. I had my oats for breakfast and used the luxury of a kettle to make a quick and hassle free cuppa tea. Following this I wrote a thank you letter on a piece of discarded paper and left it on the kitchen table. It is these experiences that certainly add to my trip.

I took off in the rain, wearing the same wet clothes as yesterday. I didn't know where I'd be staying in Albany, and no internet service meant I couldn't look for anything on my phone. I knew no matter what I'd have somewhere to sleep, whether a hostel, caravan park or side of the road.

The road contained some heavily cleared farm land. I saw many big wheat processing plants, which looked incredibly unnatural and out of balance with the surrounding landscape. I saw many signs saying "poison - stay clear" "fumigation in process". I thought to my self, if this stuff is poison, and we have to stay clear, how the hell does it work that we end up eating the flour that has copped all the poison chemicals during fumigation process.. Even if it is perfectly safe for consumption it yet again provides me with a reason to eat local, non mass produced and normal (organic) produce.

The scenery on my ride to Albany is something that will be very memorable. I saw many beautiful farms, that really made me think about one day having something similar. I also saw desolate cleared landscapes containing all but one single tree, sitting all alone in the middle of a paddock. Whilst riding in the rain and pushing yourself to exertion these images really stick in your mind.

I pushed on to Albany, having to climb a few more big hills. I was wrapped when pulling into Albany, getting my self some fresh veggie burgers to cook up for tonight. I sat out the front of a shopping mall, drinking a self made banana milkshake while I looked on my phone for cheap places to stay. A lady working there said I couldn't sit in the mall with my bike, so I sat outside in the drizzle. I found my self becoming extremely frustrated at all the passers by asking me the same questions. "Where have you come from?" "You must be wet?". I tried to be polite just nodding my head and acknowledging them.

After calling every hostel in town and asking if it were possible for me to work for free accommodation (not having any luck) I've decided to head down to the cheapest hostel available.











No comments:

Post a Comment