Saturday 16 March 2013

Day 71 (Bush to Ravensthorpe)

Day: 82.75
Time: 3hours 55minutes

The weather was kind this morning so I decided to sit down, enjoy my breakfast and do a bit more reading. It's around 85km to Ravensthorpe so I've thought I'll just stop there for today. I've been informed Ravensthorpe is somewhat of a ghost town, providing the luxury of a road house and hotel. I enjoy the luxury of time and have realise I need to take advantage of these conditions and the freedom of time while I can. I certainly have no qualms in doing a few km's less in order to enjoy the day. I often find I'm pushing my self to a point of exhaustion and discomfort when the reality is I can set my tent up anywhere I like.

In the morning I stopped at a roadhouse close by. At the roadhouse I saw a French man, also on his bike. His story is incredible. He explained to me that he had cycled from France all the way here, 80km off Ravensthorpe W.A. He told me stories from the countries he traveled through, including his time through Iran and also catching a ferry from Indonesia to Darwin. The guy had an erratic nature and was jumping from conversation to conversation. I thought, cycling this whole way solo you'd have to bear some type of abnormal behaviours. He was very polite nonetheless. He gave me a bag of cheese and bacon bread rolls. I declined them as I don't eat bacon, yet he insisted on me having them. I took them out of courtesy, and explaining I had nothing to return in favour. He said "no worries, anything will do". I thought, what's that mean??. I said to him that I only had a few mixed nuts with me to give, that's just about it. He said again "no worries at all, that will do" "do you have a bag to put them in?". I said no, then he grabbed a plastic bag and took over half of my nuts. I was surprised at his actions, as he will be in Esperance by the end of the day where he can load up, I told him this as well, and also he know the road I'm going along wouldn't provide the opportunity for food like this. I thought I'll let it go, repay his kindness, and leave it at that.

I took off and after around four hours of cycling I pulled into Ravensthorpe. I knew I wouldn't be paying money for accommodation, as my budgets getting low and will not use that luxury any more.i sussed out an area I could set up my tent, out of anyone's way and hopefully free of any disruption during the night. I set up camp at the back of a community centre, which has worked out very handy. I have been charging my phone in the building all afternoon, whilst sitting in the shade and reading more of my book.

In the night I've had my cooker going, burning of some surrounding plant debris and green matter to help deter the mosquitoes. I also love the smell of the fresh smoke. I have realised that if any locals were to see me they may possibly think I'm starting a fire, due to the thick smoke. My cooker is very well contained so am not concerned of anyone approaching me about this.

I still feel a little bloated, not sure why this is. I thought it would have disappeared now being a few days since Esperance. Hoping it goes away tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment