Wednesday 13 March 2013

Day 68 (Esperance - Rest Day)

Today has been perfect to relax and eat plenty of food. I had warm almond milk on cereal this morning. I have always loved good food, but I must admit I almost get excited to eat natural quality foods since I've been on this trip. Perhaps another great thing I've adopted since I left, never take food, in particular proper (natural) fresh food, for granted.

After brekky I caught up with the two fellas from yesterday. As it is a Sunday I am unable to load up on the bits and pieces I need, as every store in town is closed. This is very annoying as I was planning on leaving early tomorrow morning, but now I'm going to have to spend my morning buying the necessary goods. I especially need to get earphones for music, as this next leg will be torture without them.

It is raining fairly heavily today, turning out to be to fortunate to not have left on the bike today. As it isn't great beach weather my plans of swimming and fishing have been skewed a little as well. I certainly don't mind chilling out in the comfort of a cost-free, cosy guest house, catching up on some much needed reading and resting.

Later in the day the weather cleared up a bit and actually turned quite nice. My self and the two other fellas took this opportunity to get out for a swim. One of the guys, Greg, is an English fellow I'm sharing my room with. He's a keen surfer so he went out in search of some waves, while the Maori fellow and I took advantage of the salt water benefits. I've heard that Maori culture is very much in tune with the ocean, and this definitely applies to this guy. I'm not sure if it is just him, or the culture in general, as he's very connected with the ocean. He has a good knowledge in fishing, ocean conditions (as he has explained the currents etc. to me) and also describing his Maori necklace as bring in spirits from the ocean.

Later in the day we cooked up a good feed again and more relaxing. An older guy got put in the same dorm as me and Greg tonight. He's from Melbourne and here for work, checking petrol pressure at service stations. This guy has an erratic nature, giving me the idea he has dabbled a bit with amphetamines in his time. He came into the dorm and started speaking very rapidly, asking us to have beers with him. I said I was alright, Greg on the other hand, although reluctant at the start, took advantage of free beers.

I caught up on sleep, only to have Greg come back an hour later to drag me out. I was exhausted and fell back asleep. Half an hour later Greg was back and this time I came out. The guys were on the beach sipping on the beers. It was quite a peaceful setting actually. I found it amusing when arriving there, as Rick - the Maori fella, was right into the beers. It was the older guy, Ricky, Greg, and I sitting on the shore. Next second I then see Ricky smoking with the older fella. I found this funny as Rick mentioned earlier he didn't smoke (although admitting he has in the past). I don't care what any person choses to do, but it highlights a flaw in character when they attempt to justify the person they are only to contradict it a short time later. I had a beer with them whilst talking about all sorts of stuff. After one beer I decided that was enough, while the older fella kept persisting I take more. I repeatedly said no until he eventually gave up. I think this guy hasn't met to many people who refuse free beer, in particularly when in a social situation where others expect you to drink. He exclaimed "Geez!! Someone who doesn't succumb to peer pressure!!". As I see Ricky smoking a cigarette with him, I realised how many people this guy must influence with his free offerings.

After this Greg and I went back inside and watched a movie on his computer. Another perfect day and ready to get my gear sorted for tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment