Wednesday 13 March 2013

Day 67 (Esperance -Rest Day)

This morning I got up nice and early. I had all my gear packed and strapped onto the bike before the others had even woke up. Although I was only moving 300 meters down the road I guess it was a subconscious feeling as if I was still out on the road, about to get on the bike. I was up early enough to head off, however I still feel like I need another rest day. I have decided that I will shoot off tomorrow morning.

I had breakfast while the others slept. I met a really nice Italian guy and we sat down drinking fresh coffee that he made using his Italian coffee steamer kettle. After this the others woke up and made themselves a big brekky. They offered me some but I was already full from my muesli and bread. They were very kind as they knew I didn't eat bacon so offered me something different. I find this very comforting when people acknowledge this fact, without making any issue about it. I suppose the matter that gives people ammunition to question my diet is the fact I occasionally eat kangaroo. Although I don't eat kangaroo often, and practically never compared to what I used to, I occasionally love it cooked over a flamed BBQ. I eat this meat predominantly for environmental reasons, ethical reasons, taste and definitely also because of health reasons. For someone who wants to limit meat intake for environmental reasons, yet on occasion do choose to eat meat, this to me seems a logical choice. I find it strange that I need to justify this to people and many can't just accept that it's each individuals choice. I certainly don't pester other people about what they eat, even if it is degrading our environment.

Following this I checked in to the hostel down the road. I said goodbye to the French family and felt as if I was all alone again. As I pulled into the hostel I thought I'd probably be in a big dorm by my self, as Esperance is only a small town and not many people would be calling through. The hostel is $1 cheaper then the caravan site so it was a no brainer for me to check in here.

When I arrived the lady at reception was marvelled about my journey. I was quite surprised how enthused she was as I have seen a couple of cyclist so far on my trip now. I explained what I was doing and that I am on a tight budget. She was very understanding and was very obliging. She offered me a few nights accommodation free of charge, explaining that I need the rest to recover. I had let her know that I was very appreciative and I'd probably leave tomorrow morning anyway. This was certainly comforting, especially after being alone again.

I met a young Maori fellow whose working at the mines in Kalgoorlie, 400km north of here. He was at the front of the hostel looking at the beach conditions. I asked if he was heading out for a swim and he said he was, but also for a fish. Straight away we clicked and decided to head out together for a swim and then a fish. I met another younger English fella in the hostel who is backpacking around Australia. The English fella decided to come along and it has ended up being a perfect day.

This evening we cooked up a big feast and I was able to show off some of my cooking skills. I cooked a meal that I learnt off a friend of mine. I took the stalk off some mushrooms, chopped the stalks up with some tomatoes and capsicums, mixed them together with some pasta sauce and cheese, then put it all in the base of the mushroom with more cheese on top. The mushroom acted as a type of pizza base, then I put them in the oven for 15 odd minutes. The Maori fella joked around saying he'd cook it next time his on a date, only realising he'd soon get caught out as he doesn't know how to cook anything else!!

Good rest tonight and I am now thinking I will take the lady from the hostels offer and stay one more night.












No comments:

Post a Comment