Wednesday 6 March 2013

Day 62 (Baladonia on way to Norseman)

Day: 98km

This morning I felt very heavy and tired. I had my oats and realised I was running low on food. The old Dutch lady who was close-by came up and offered me bacon and eggs on toast. I was stunned and couldn't resist this. It is now the second time I've eaten bacon in the last year, with the other time in Tasmania in a similar situation. Possibly the hardest thing on this trip is being committed to certain types of food out on the road.

After breakfast I packed up an went to the roadhouse. I was annoyed here as I had no option but to pay $12 for 10litres of water. The taps had signs saying "non-drinking water". After tasting the water I was tempted to use it but thought I'd be safe and go with the bottled stuff. I also got a pack of tim tams and scoffed them down before I took off into the heat of the day.. It feels disgusting eating such crappy unhealthy food yet it's the only type of food many of these place offer. In comparison to $7 biscuits $6 tim tams seem the better option.

The ride has been very hard today. Even stronger head winds, very hot and fatigued after yesterday. I knew I wasn't going to make the 200km to Norsemen so was prepared to camp half way. Around the 100km mark I had my eyes open for a nice spot. I was running low in water today as with the heat I've drank a bit more than normal. I had about 6 litres of water left around 100km in, and realised I'd probably have to waive down a car to fill up before tomorrow.

By pure surprise I saw a sign saying caravan park in the middle of the bush. This was like having an early Christmas, I was so relieved. I turned left down a dirt road to get to the caravan park. It had a sign saying one km but it went for at least two, and it felt like five or so. The vibrations from the dirt road made me worry about all my gear and also thinking some bolts and screws might come loose. When the road wasn't causing vibrations my tyres were just sinking into the ground.

I eventually got to the camp area and it was beautiful. Nestled in the middle of bush land and containing a semi cleared area for tents, caravans etc. It had a few large trees scattered around and many nice ornamental plants. This was such a peaceful place. The classic tin water tanks were scattered around, having vines creeping around them. The guy who managed it also set up herbs in different spots, placing them in nice classic style tin containers. It also has a fresh farm smell, combined with horse manure but making for a very peaceful setting. If I had some company, a car and plenty of food with me I'd definitely kill some time here. This is a spot I'll remember if I ever come touring out this way again.

Tonight has really been great. I have my tent set up outside under the stars and have left the outer layer of my tent off. Photos can't do the beauty of this justice. In these conditions, along with a beautiful sunset I am most at peace. It is so relaxing and I am very grateful to be in places like this.

Tomorrow time to finish off the Nullabor!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment