Wednesday 20 March 2013

Day 76 (Denmark to Green Pools)

Day: 20km

This morning I woke up feeling refreshed and relaxed. I had some filling veggie burgers last night, with the French guys who camped out in their van. I spent a bit of time with them listening to their stories of travel and about there mission to find work here. They have driven to every farm since Perth, asking if any work is required. It makes you think that if there are so many desperate foreigners searching work, there should never be cries from our rural sectors for a lack in manual labourers. Most travellers I've met have even resorted to volunteering once they realise they can't get any rural work. The thing that gives me much respect for these guys, and other travellers I've met, is that they're prepared to live anywhere, even the most remote areas of the country, just for work. The incentive of retaining a second year visa, after three months rural work, is a real driving factor for them but I have also found many foreigners just desire rural work for the experience alone.

I have to admit I kept my time limited with the French guys as they smoked ridiculous amounts of cigarettes in the time I was with them. One was coughing and blowing his nose for half the night, I especially wanted to distance my self from him. I often think I'm dirty, by the fact I'm sweaty off the bike, sleeping in the bush or making camp fire etc. but when I think about the way Im travelling compared to others, I consider my self relatively clean. At least I'm not carrying any colds or other contagious illness.

Once waking up I took the time to catch up on some writing and also admiring more of the natural beauty. Many pelicans were fishing in front of me, giving me more indication of the quantity of fish in the river. I decided to get some fishing bait in town and spend the day relaxing. I also picked up some garlic tablets in the IGA, as I want to make sure I don't catch anything from breathing the same air in the French fellows van last night. Exerting my limits everyday and eating restrictive food I'm well aware my immune system could easily be attacked. That is certainly the last thing I want..

Later on I went up to an area called Green Pools and was marvelled by the beauty and clearness of the water. This is a small section surrounded by rocks and is perfect for swimming, snorkelling and I'd imagine fishing. I was surprised to see many tourists come down just to take photos and walk off. I wandered what they tell there friends when they show the photos. It would certainly be hard for them to say they enjoyed their time there, being so brief and all.

I lazed around here by swimming, resting, reading and enjoying a very humid and partly overcast day. A little later on I decided it was time to find a good area to set up my tent. I went down a dirt road, containing many pot holes and bumps in the ground. It was very painful riding on this road as I could just feel my bike copping a punishment. It's sort of like one of those dolls you see on movies, that refer pain to people when they get punished. The more my bike cops a beating I feel it too. I found a beautiful spot nestled on the top of a small mountain. I set my tent up overlooking the beach and having the beauty of the surrounding mountains next to me. This is really a sensational spot to camp. It makes me realise how fortunate I am to live in such a beautiful country and that I'm also able to get out and do these things.

As the sun set on my right hand side, and the mountains on my left received the effects of the sun setting, I enjoyed some dinner of cous cous and chickpeas. I love eating food cooked off a small fire in front of me. I managed to find some rosemary leaves in the bushes, which I mixed in my dinner. I'm curious as to whether these are pests or a native variety, my thoughts being that it's a pest.

Tomorrow I'm planning on seeing more of this country and possibly camp a little further along the beach.













No comments:

Post a Comment