Wednesday 6 March 2013

Day 61 (Caiguna to Baladonia)

Day: 178km

Today was one of the hardest days on my trip. It was gruelling to say the least. I knew I'd be in for a tough day as I had the longest straight road in Australia to cover. The thing that made this extremely difficult was the heavy head wind. It was hot as well, but the head wind was a killer. At times I thought about camping half way but I'd be exposed to direct sun and I knew it wasn't an option. They were merely thoughts to occupy my mind as I rode. I wanted to be able to ride this stretch in one day then be able to get close to the next road house.

I managed to get to a good park bay 5km before Baladonia. This is the last roadhouse before the end of the Nullarbor. It's roughly 200km after here to the end of the Nullarbor stretch, which I can't wait to finish. The ride today was very monotonous. It was literally just a long straight road with no bends or anything. The first half was very boring due to grazed farm land, the second half more pleasurable due to natural scenery. The vegetation was very beautiful also containing beautiful birds of many different colours, shapes and sizes. Many times I'd see little sections containing flooded depressions, looking truly incredible with its natural vegetation and sandstone rocks. I thought if any human could imitate this type of landscape in their backyard, then they'd be one of the worlds best landscapers. The most admirable thing about the landscape out here is I know that it has taken millions of years to form in this way.

It's very annoying when I see cleared farm land on my ride, or even in general I should say. I don't understand how it can be justified to clear thousands of acres of pristine bushland just to maintain 100odd sheep, cattle or whatever. In another 20years it most probably won't even be economically viable to have the sheep and then the land will be left empty and too compacted to ever revegetate to its previous state. I suppose as I have learnt and been exposed to the many benefits of natural bush lands I can understand this. The biodiversity containing food, medicines, habitat for native life and contributing to the cycle of life. These are a few things that I think when I'm riding. I then also wander how travellers say the Nullabor is boring as there's no trees and its the same scenery. There might not be trees but certainly a vast array of shrubs and full of wildlife. The same people never seem to say driving through 100s of km's through cleared farmland is boring.

As I got to the end of the straight road I was very pleased to see a corner. I was more pleased as I hoped it would provide a drop in the headwind I had. Turned out I was wrong, but was still very pleased to go around a corner.

I was pleased to find a parking bay so close to the roadhouse. It would have been extremely stupid of me to go to the actual roadhouse tonight, as it was 7pm by the time I got off my bike. The only reason I'd go to a roadhouse at this time is to get food, and at this time it's possibly closed. If I were to go there and it's closed then I'd be to buggerd to keep going, in search of another parking bay, and probably stay there. It's not very smart to stay at a roadhouse as all you do is give someone money to set up a tent.

In the park bay is an old Dutch lady and an old Australian lady. They both met on there travels, as they are going around Australia with their caravans. I've thought to my self that they are fortunate to have met each other, as I can imagine it would be hard for two older ladies to meet a great deal of people. In particular people who would be alone and spend time with them.

Tomorrow morning will load up on water at the roadhouse then try and go as far as I can to the end of the Nullarbor tomorrow. Will be hard as I'm very tire now.













No comments:

Post a Comment