Friday 8 March 2013

Day 64 (Norseman to Esperance)

Day: 208km

Possibly the hardest day of my whole trip. The only thing that got me through today was the fact I could rest at Esperance. Last night I organised with the French family that I will meet them in Esperance at the caravan park. They explained they had already paid the site and I could set up my tent with them. They have planned to be in Esperance for three days so this will work out perfect for me.

In the morning it was raining slightly with heavy overcast. The forecast had predicted thunderstorms and rain through the day, with it clearing up further south around Esperance. The cost of staying in Norseman had already confirmed my plans to get into Esperance straight away, the weather was just the icing on the cake.

The ride was possibly the biggest challenge of my life. I knew it was going to be very difficult, as completing 208km in any condition is always hard, but with the head wind and rain it was an absolute challenge. I leant some headphones for my music from the French family, as after the eagle last week I no longer have head phones. Without this music I don't think I could have done it. I was on the bike for 9hours 50minutes, through heavy rain, sun and headwind the whole way. I left at 8:15 am and pulled in around 19:00. I had roughly 20minute break at a roadhouse half way. I was very frustrated here, as they had no fixed prices and the man made them up as he liked. I ended buying a choc chip cookie for $4, at least it was enough to keep me going.

On the ride I saw a wild horse, one of the most impressive sights of my life. He was just eating some grass on the side of the road and became startled as I came close. He stood in the middle of the road and Gazed straight into me, as if waiting to be lassoed. Unfortunately I couldn't get a photo as my phone screen background light was on low to save battery. By the time I figured out how to change the light and get camera open the horse had ran off. I wish I didn't even bother with the camera, it would have been better to get a good look at the horse.

Pulling into Esperance I was wrapped. I was happy as I knew I had a spot to set my tent up and also that I had some company waiting for me. I pulled in and before the rain came too heavy I set my tent up. I managed to set up within a few minutes, I could see the French family were surprised by how quick it took me. I explained that you'd want to be quick after setting it up every night for the past two months. It had been very relaxing as we have been sitting and eating toasted sandwiches.

Time for a well deserved sleep and a few days rest!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment