Wednesday 20 March 2013

Day 77 (Green Pools to The Wolery (Eco community))

Day: 12km

This morning I woke up overlooking the ocean and beautiful coastline. As per usual, I also woke up to the sound of many beautiful birds chirping. I made my breakfast and enjoyed a hot cuppa green tea. I decided to read and relax most of this morning. I also thought this was a good opportunity to practice more on my didgeridoo. I'm working hard on the circular breathing technique, which I definitely notice I'm close to achieving. It is funny when practicing this, as usually passers by will have trouble comprehending what they see is real. At least here it is secluded, and I only have a few cars passing by on occasion.

I ended up back at Greens Pools to enjoy a morning swim. Here it was very peaceful. I ate some snacks that my Taiwanese friends gave to me from Albany. I may not have noted this, but the Taiwanese people in Albany also gifted me with a pair of unique Taiwanese chopsticks. I was very appreciative, as they are the second pair of chopsticks I've received on my trip so far.

I decided it was time to move on and find another camp spot a little further up the coast. As I was riding down I saw signs to a rural shop selling honey, mead, honey ice creams and a few other fresh goods. I rode past the property, then checked the time only to realise it was still early afternoon, so I did a u-turn and went to check it out.

As I pulled into the gravel drive way a screw came off my back pannier rack. The rack was rubbing on my wheel, making it near impossible for the wheel to spin. I had a quick look and realised the shop was closing soon, so I left all my bits and pieces at the front. In the shop I tried many nice honeys, meads and also treated my self to a honey banana ice cream.

As I walked out there was a man looking interestedly at my bike. He asked where I was from and where I've been. He explained he was interested in bikes as well, and by chance having one of his bikes at the shop with him. We started talking, only to realise we had even more in common. His wife's family are actually from the same town in the Netherlands as my family, in which I'd almost guarantee our older family members would know each other. His name was Bob and his wife Marieke.

Bob explained he had an old tram in his back yard that I could sleep in. I was curious as to what the tram would look like, and also very grateful for his kind offering. We both rode back up the hill I just came down and went into his place. Bob made comment as to the ease I did going up the hill on my bike, having such a heavy load and all. It made me realise that my condition at the moment is easily the best I've been in my entire life.

Bob and Mariekes place is incredible. They have built the whole place them selves, using all recycled goods and actually making mud bricks by hand by using the earth beneath their house. The house is situated in a small sustainable community village. It's ran by the community and receive no council services. All organic matters composted and any other waste is built up to then be taken into town. Bob has explained that every person in the community has a task there responsible for. It is not a job they have, but merely general duties that anyone would have when owning a property or house.

This little village is a real example of how living should be, and a perfect demonstration for other developments in the future. It's incredible to think that this community has been here nearly 40 years, and everyday people like Bob and Marieke have worked hard in setting it up. It's crazy that modern society, having so many resources and government funding, are so far from achieving this type of living. I believe greed and the desire to make money influence the restriction of this growth. As I have been informed by Bob, the only thing people own in the community is the house itself, not the land. For an average money driven consumer, I imagine many people would shy away from the idea of not 'owning' the land, or 'owning' under the western notion and idea attributed by marketing terminology and prospect of future profits.

I have enjoyed a beautiful dinner with Bob and Marieke, aided with some fresh veggies out of their garden. I am really in awe of this place. This feels very surreal and it's times like these that make this trip so worthwhile.

Tomorrow I want to explore the community, see what type of plants, namely edible species, are around and also meet some more of the people in the village.










No comments:

Post a Comment