Thursday 18 April 2013

Day 100 (Perth - Rest Day)

April 11 (Thurs)

Today I went back to the museum for the final time. The Aboriginal history section is up there with some of the best insights I've seen.

After the museum I went to the productive garden, close to the Perth train station. I wanted to have a good look in the day time to see what type of species were actually in there. I have to acknowledge how great this set up is. It is free to anybody (or anybody aware) and any of the surplus produce gets given to homeless shelters around the city. It is ran and managed by an non-profit organisation that receives grants from the government. The non-profit group also relies on donations. The maintenance is generally done by volunteers, or unemployed people working for the dol. The garden is well kept, perhaps a little to well to abide by council regulations, but still an amazing piece of work. A great deal of attention has also gone into it, so that it does not overload the structural properties of the underground car park beneath.

This is really a win win for every one. Educating the public on what type of species grow well here, showing that a productive garden is possible, providing organic produce in the heart of the city and providing pleasing aesthetic value amongst a concrete setting.

I saw some workers at the back of the garden. I thought I'd take the opportunity to get over there to learn more about this set up. When I spoke with them I learnt about City West Farm. This is an organic set up similar to that of Ceres in Melbourne. It is a small scale farm, more like a permaculture set up property. They sell fresh produce to the public, provide work for youth or unemployed people and have a great little cafe. I quizzed the guys if I could come down and also volunteer my time for tomorrow. They were wrapped and gave me all the details. This has worked out great as I can now spent my last day in Perth learning more about this great set up!

Tonight Matt and his partner, Luke and I had all went to the roof top cinema in north bridge Perth. Matts mum could organise tickets through her work so we made good use of hem. This was a great night, the movie was also good value. It was Total Recall with Arnold Swarznegger. I am so happy with my time here so far and feel very lucky to have two great friends here who are able to show me around. It has certainly made my time here a lot better then I expected.











No comments:

Post a Comment