Tuesday 23 April 2013

Day 105 (Dongara to Northhampton)

April 16 (Tuesday)
Day: 123km
Ride time: 5hours 37minutes

Today was a long day as I stopped in Geraldton for a few hours, making use of the public library. I originally planned on sleeping in Geraldton but as I got there quite early and had plenty of energy I was keen to keep going. I loaded up on more food and water and took off in the direction of Northhampton.

Geraldton seemed like a nice town, bearing similarities to more populated towns before Perth, such as Mandurah, yet being a Port town and having the northern feel attached to it. By northern feel I mean that of a mining and/or tradesman presence and also more of an Aboriginal presence.

Northampton is around 60km further north of Geraldton. It is a tiny place, perhaps just possible to be labeled a town. When I pulled into town it was late in the day, I was fairly buggered and I was dying to eat some food. I kept my eyes open for hidden away spots to set up my tent. I noticed a park area at the back of a caravan park. It appeared to be public land and looked like I could hide away behind a few bushes. I went down and set up my tent. I got my cooker out and was preparing some food. Moments later a man came up, reeking of beer. He asked me why I was set up in this spot. I explained that it appears to be public land and I'm not in anyone's way. He was struggling to get his message across. I figured this was perhaps why he stank of beer, as he knocked a few back in the hope to work up some courage to tell me to leave. Some would perhaps describe this man as a bogan - barb wire tattoo on his arm, jim beam tee shirt and poor English skills. I explained I wasn't going to pay him $25 for having my tent set up in bushes a few hundred metres away from his caravan park. He didn't warm to this so asked me to leave again. I said no problem and packed all my gear up and took off again in the dark.

There was a fair bit of noise around and people walking on the streets close by. I thought that perhaps if they saw me they would cause a bit of trouble. Feeling alone. Empty inside as a result of having no one around. The feeling of dejection after being told to leave the park moments earlier. I had no where to go, just a bit of hope in my mind that I could find a safe spot.

I searched some back streets of the town for other bushes to set up my tent. I found an open block and asked a man close by if anyone owned it. He explained that its attached to the property next door but its not in use. I thought perfect so went up to set up my tent. It's been alright so far but the rain has come giving me worry for the big day planned tomorrow.











No comments:

Post a Comment