Saturday 27 April 2013

Day 109 (Carnavon - Rest Day)

April 20 (Saturday)

This morning was a nice change from the last week. It felt great sleeping after a good shower that's for sure! I had a sleep in then made my way down to the shops and then beach.

I say down at the beach enjoying some food and reading my book. After I finished and decided it was time to do something else I walked over to a few younger people sitting down in a shaded area. I figured they were probably backpackers and would make for good conversation. To my great surprise one of the people was a friend I met in Esperance. I lost his contact details and was annoyed I couldn't get back in touch with him. He lives in Melbourne and shares many interests to that of mine.

I relaxed more and tried sorting out a few things for my bike. There was no actual bike shop in town, just a small multi sport store that happened to sell spare tubes. I was after a new tyre but this wasn't available. I have settled with the extra tube and a bit o tape to put inside the tyre, a sort of protecting skin. Hope this works..

I wasn't sure if I would leave tomorrow or not. I received a message off the German friends I made later in the day asking if I would like to catch up with them. I realised they would be going up the coast to Exmouth and then returning with in a few days. They have a hire car and have to return it to Perth in another week or so. I caught up with them and to my surprise actually asked if I wanted to come. This was a relief because I wasn't to keen on asking them! They realised that I've missed many of the tourist attractions, notably Monkey Mia, Kalbari national park and the Pinnacles. I thought I would probably have cycled to Coral bay but wouldn't of gone as far to Exmouth. This was a great relief for me.

I have planned to leave my bike here in the caravan park in Canarvon whilst we are away. I have made friends with the managers so they were more than obliging to help. The managers actually asked me for dinner tonight before we shoot off tomorrow.

In the afternoon I went to the Canarvon pub to watch Essendon play St. Kildare. This was great, as I realise that I may not have many opportunities over the next few weeks to watch the football.

Today has turned out to be perfect! Off tomorrow for a few days with the Germans.

No comments:

Post a Comment