Saturday 20 April 2013

Day 102 (Perth to Lancelin)

April 13 (Saturday)
Day: 134km

It was hard to say goodbye this morning. Luke had come down to Matts and all three of us went down to the Subiaco market at the local primary school. As much as I wasn't in a position to do so, I spoilt my self with a fresh coffee and enjoyed my final moments with the boys. I'm well aware I probably won't see them for quite some time now.

In the same fashion of every other departure, I thanked everyone for a great time and all there help. I knew deep down as I was leaving that the oncoming months are going to be very long, tiresome and lonely. Keeping a strong mindset and knowing this is what I put myself in for I took off in the direction for Lancelin. This is a town around 130km north of Perth.

I felt physically great taking off on the bike. I suppose a week off will do that to you. I was surprised at the smooth transition of my legs and knees to the new pedals. It is quite common for joints, in particular knees as even lower backs, to respond to subtle changes in pedal positions. I hope today's experience can carry on for the rest of the journey. The bike was packed to the brim with supplies, making the bike even heavier then before. My goal is to get to Geraldton without spending any money at all, Geraldton being 480km away. I have a 500gram pack of red split lentils (2$), 500grams of whole meal couscous ($2.50), three tins of bake beans ($3), 750gram packet of oats ($1.15), 750gram homebrand sultanas ($4) 500grams walnuts ($9) and two left over two minute noodle packets, some brown rice, green tea, honey and herbs and spices. I plan for this to last me until Geraldton and have some left overs for even further ahead.

It was weird getting back on the road but I just had this feeling like it was meant to be. I wasn't aware where I would sleep tonight. I pulled into town and quickly got back in the swing of things. I instantly started scanning the area for safe spots to camp. The only downfall were all the signs around town saying "No camping allowed". These signs were mostly around the beach area as well, giving me reason to think the rangers might be on the lookout early in the morning.

It was pretty late in the day when I pulled in. I had trouble finding any amenities close by so decided to fill my water up at a tap in the front of someone's property. I ended up deciding to set my tent up at the back of a football oval amongst a few bushes in the back of town. The area looked completely dead and this was around 20:00 in the evening. I thought this would be a safe bet for a goodnights rest. Turns out I was wrong.

Throughout night I had a range of annoyances from the local people. At midnight I had a car come up to my tent with its headlights on. After this I had some drunk people throw bottles close by. Following that I heard the most derelict female Australian voice yell out "Look at that F***in dickhead in his tent" I must admit the commit was half slurred but still enough for me to gather what she said. Fair to say it hasn't been the best luck sleeping here!









No comments:

Post a Comment