Monday 1 April 2013

Day 90 (Bunbury to Mandurah)

Day: 100km

The first day of April! It's been three full months since I've left, yet time very rarely entering my mind since I've been on the trip.

Last night was crazy. I had a car full of ravers partying on the footy oval next to where I was camping. I am not sure if they saw me, as I was nestled between a few bushes in the back corner, yet the bushes were spread far apart and the tent would still have been easy to notice. I would assume they didn't see me, as if they had of then I imagine they would of approached the tent. I was deep asleep and then around 1am I woke up to the thumping of heavy techno, the type of music you'd associate with skin head druggies. They then rode around for about two hours on a peewee 50 motorbike, although sounding more like a chainsaw. To my luck they left with no contact.

This morning I woke up feeling very heavy. I had very minimal food last night as it was late and I was very tired when pulling in to town. I decided to not cook my own food as I didn't want to draw attention to my camp site at the footy oval. I tried finding a shop, preferably supermarket to get cheap food, yet everything was closed. The only three shops open were a bottle shop, McDonalds and KFC. Although probably seeming as normal for a city and perhaps 'good' to the average person in a city, this to me is a good way of explaining a modern western society. Macdonalds KFC and a bottle shop. I bought a banana smoothie from mcdonalds in the hope it would suppress my hunger. The thing was disgusting and full or artificial banana flavouring and sugar, possibly not even containing proper milk.

It was very warm and humid this morning and I felt physically sick for some reason. I have associated the stomach cramps to the Mcdonalds last night as I haven't consumed anything different besides that in the last few days. I have been expecting a call from a few friends in Perth so I can arrange how long I can stay with them for. I have a few friends there, which I am looking forward to catching up with. In the mean time I am trying to figure where I will go before Perth. I don't want to go to Perth now as it is very expensive for hostels or campgrounds, especially that campgrounds are a fair distance from the city.

I decided to head to Fremantle as the hostels are cheaper and it's still close to Perth. On my way I felt even sicker in my stomach. The ride was very difficult for me. The weather felt unbelievably hot, considering it was high thirties and I've ridden close to 50 degrees in the past. I ran out of water ten km before any stop, so was dying for a rest. I stopped in Mandaruh for a break, with Fremantle being another 70km away. As I was not feeling well, the heat being unbearable, a hostel seeming expensive and Mandrah being a coast town with shoreline to camp I decided to rest here.

It was 14:30 when I arrived so I've just been lazing around the beach and reading my book. The shoreline is not very wide and its surrounded by small dunes. Out of fear that the shore would get covered in high tide I decided to sleep in a little park area. This appears to be a wealthy area so I'm not expecting the same type that interrupted my sleep last night!









1 comment:

  1. Hey! my husband met you on his drive up to Broome - I know you are raising awareness for a great cause....well there is also a great cause in Pinjarra (you are about to go through there!) - and they are holding a concert by John Butler Trio to raise money for their Project - check out Murray District Aboriginal Association!

    http://www.pinjarramassacresite.com - check 'em out if you have time n tell 'em Allison Stout sent ya! info@pinjarramassacresite.com - its run by Mark and Karrie-Anne

    ReplyDelete